Gsh's School At Cybw

w squared

I got no beef with GSH, What I mentioned to Cole and the rest of the younger crowd is that don't pay 80K for a turbine license and expect to go to work for them!! There are more reasonable ways to get your license with the same amount of job risk involved. Talk with the CP or Ops Manager, they do the hiring!

As for the 500's like I say they are still becoming used but a past icon!!! I know people still like them but sorry, thing of the past! MD can't even support factory parts!

As for our machines working for AFS, of course! along with about 10 other highly professional companies, doing EASY days with LOW cycles, and no PRESSURE = EASY MONEY MAN! As for the rates, thats what they are for everyone give or take a few bucks! Oh, and when because are aircraft are bought and paid for, we can make good money anyways!

So take your 500's on siesmic, Torque Event the MR blades out, time the freewheel unit out, sit in your truck for 14 hrs a day waiting for the skies to clear. Or bang the crap out of them filling them with samples, your choice! I must say I had no problems filling our pilot roster!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I had no problems filling our pilot roster!

I guess you just put this add up for someone else last month T-REx

Looking for contract AS350B2/3 Pilots for a two year contract. Candiates must have: 1000 hrs PIC Helicopters Minimum.

Cdn Commercial License with ability to work in Canada

Astar Endorsement with 300 hrs on type

Longline Experience

Mtn Time

Low time pilots need not apply!

Contact Bighorn Helicopters, Cranbrook BC 250 489-2517

Troy Bridgman - Operations Manager

Aaron Harris - Chief Pilot

Cheers

JR

Jeff,

I did, even funnier, GSH crew applied! Go figure!

No more 6 week tours or arctic flying ! A nice change for some good people!

Funny how GSH crew doing the same work, same aircraft,...same price! So, whats your complaint?

No complaint, I guess I just jumped to a conclusion with out getting all the information, what would be the correct term for that, "misinformed"

I apologies for wasting your time and other peoples time writing about something

I’m obviously clueless about

Cheers

Jeff Ryan

I just see it as this

- $50,000 gets you into a machine most commonly used for training (thats a good thing) then you go and you try hard and find a job that has you have to do for a while to prove you are worth the company's investment so they put you in a helicopter. (Great! my theory- if Im in an aircraft, im happy)

- $85,000 gets you into a light turbine for 100 hours, as much as 50/50 BH06/500 (thats up to the cp or the ops manager) and has you on a constant interview with the company for the 4ish months you spend in their hangar training. At the end of this training you are given an interview/check flight with (Corect me if im wron Jeff) the cp or OPS Manager. At this point GSH decides if they want you as a pilot. GSH (from the emails Ive had with them) has a good history of hiring low timers from their school. You are also getting one **** of a deal (all your schooling, 50Hrs 206, 50Hrs 500 (mabey) all for $80-85K

"The reason we can take on five to six students a year is because we move the graduates through to the flight line quick, your first summer you can expect to fly between 50 to 100hrs in the Jetranger, but it’s possible that you do not fly at all, though I haven’t seen that happen yet. Your second summer you should be flying full time."

I am lucky enough to have heard alot of arguments from both sides, and have had alot of conflicting thoughts. one being "If I go to the cheaper school, I can go sooner, school sooner means flying sooner." But now my head is a bit unclear, more like "Go to school on loans next year, look for a job, spend a year in the patch to pay back loans, look for a job (okay, now were a year and a half since flight school) find a job, spend 1-3 years on the ground waiting for a shot at the seat, get the seat, be happy OR Go to the patch straight off, spend 1-2 years there makin enough money to go to GSH, go to GSH, get hired on (I have no doubts in my mind that I would be among the few that get hired) fly "50-100 hours" in my first summer, second summer = Full time."

The way my second thought ends up-

Piston- School next year, year in the patch, rampie for anywhere from 1-3 years

Total- 3-5 years befor working with a 1-4 year gap between getting to fly (thats the real clincher)

Turbine (GSH, cant afford CHL in Penticton, to much $$)- Patch next year, little to no loan for GSH, School at GSH, Hired on ramp, flying full time

2.5ish years (One for patch, 3-4 months for school, then a year befor im full time)

I have been told that right after graduation I will look to young for to get a job flying as my age may concern customers, so after 1-2 years riggin' I think that problem would be solved (that would make me 19-20 going into flight school).

Im not trying to start a war here, I just thought I would share how things look from my point of view, and see if anyone can give me some direction. I am still very much on the fence (after doing some math in my head, I may actually be leaning towards GSH again, but we'll see)

For those wondering- the money that made going to school next year the obvious choice is no longer available, therefor training will be all my coin.

J.R.- Expect another email very soon.

Cole

I just see it as this

- $50,000 gets you into a machine most commonly used for training (thats a good thing) then you go and you try hard and find a job that has you have to do for a while to prove you are worth the company's investment so they put you in a helicopter. (Great! my theory- if Im in an aircraft, im happy)

- $85,000 gets you into a light turbine for 100 hours, as much as 50/50 BH06/500 (thats up to the cp or the ops manager) and has you on a constant interview with the company for the 4ish months you spend in their hangar training. At the end of this training you are given an interview/check flight with (Corect me if im wron Jeff) the cp or OPS Manager. At this point GSH decides if they want you as a pilot. GSH (from the emails Ive had with them) has a good history of hiring low timers from their school. You are also getting one **** of a deal (all your schooling, 50Hrs 206, 50Hrs 500 (mabey) all for $80-85K

"The reason we can take on five to six students a year is because we move the graduates through to the flight line quick, your first summer you can expect to fly between 50 to 100hrs in the Jetranger, but it’s possible that you do not fly at all, though I haven’t seen that happen yet. Your second summer you should be flying full time."

I am lucky enough to have heard alot of arguments from both sides, and have had alot of conflicting thoughts. one being "If I go to the cheaper school, I can go sooner, school sooner means flying sooner." But now my head is a bit unclear, more like "Go to school on loans next year, look for a job, spend a year in the patch to pay back loans, look for a job (okay, now were a year and a half since flight school) find a job, spend 1-3 years on the ground waiting for a shot at the seat, get the seat, be happy OR Go to the patch straight off, spend 1-2 years there makin enough money to go to GSH, go to GSH, get hired on (I have no doubts in my mind that I would be among the few that get hired) fly "50-100 hours" in my first summer, second summer = Full time."

The way my second thought ends up-

Piston- School next year, year in the patch, rampie for anywhere from 1-3 years

Total- 3-5 years befor working with a 1-4 year gap between getting to fly (thats the real clincher)

Turbine (GSH, cant afford CHL in Penticton, to much $$)- Patch next year, little to no loan for GSH, School at GSH, Hired on ramp, flying full time

2.5ish years (One for patch, 3-4 months for school, then a year befor im full time)

I have been told that right after graduation I will look to young for to get a job flying as my age may concern customers, so after 1-2 years riggin' I think that problem would be solved (that would make me 19-20 going into flight school).

Im not trying to start a war here, I just thought I would share how things look from my point of view, and see if anyone can give me some direction. I am still very much on the fence (after doing some math in my head, I may actually be leaning towards GSH again, but we'll see)

For those wondering- the money that made going to school next year the obvious choice is no longer available, therefor training will be all my coin.

J.R.- Expect another email very soon.

Cole

Both are good plans, but it seems like alot banks on being hired for sure by GSH. Alot can happen in a year or 2, including the bottom falling out of the industry, or GSH hiring practices change for some reason, who knows? But the rat race of 100hr piston bangers is definetly a grimey one. :wacko: all these opinions and insights make my head hurt :P

keep them coming everyone :up:

Hehe, my heads been hurting for quite a while now Nolan.

One of my points would be that even if I did opt to go to GSH, it would be paid for because if I go piston, Im going next year, but on some loaned money which is only available via a loan.

Damnitt, im leaning back towards the expensive one again... ****

Cole,

Here is what I did. I did a 80 piston, 20 turbine course. I then went and built time on a Jetranger. I spent about as much as you will spend getting your liscense at GSH but ended up with almost 200 hours. I found two things while looking for work. FIrstly, that there seemed to be more interest in me because I had turbine time and secondly I was hired because of my increased time over the other newer pilots out there. I spent most of my time building hours doing practical stuff simular to the Canadian industry, but I found that no one ever asked me how I got my hours or what I had done during the time I built hours.

I will say that no matter what you decide, it is hard to get a flying job at first. I was fortunate to be hired in the off season by a local Bell service center where I was able to get some good contacts and knowledge about helicopter maintenance. I have also worked with GSH and have seen the way they interact with 100 hour pilots and by the sounds of it, the pay was much better than when I was a 200 hour pilot looking for work. As for sweeping floors and cleaning helicopters, I am still doing this at 2000 hours and I think that it is all about attitude and if you enjoy your job, then just being in the industry is enough. It took me 4 years before I got my first real flying Gig thanks to Helicopter Transport Services of Canada and the rest is history. Still Flying, still learning and still loving the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning. And the most important, love the noise.

My two cents, good luck in what ever way you decide.

PS> JR was my instructor when I got my liscense! Has lots of knowledge to share!

Thanks man. I love getting posts like that... I am planning on trying to find some of the guys that graduated from the turbine programing and swapin some emails. I would like to hear first hand what they ended up doing.

When you boil it down, If I was anywhere in the industry near helicopters, I would be pretty **** happy. I've yet to meet anyone on here or when I go out hangar invading (Ive been through alot of hangars talking to random people) that I wouldnt want to work for.

Cole