Checkride

SNooP A LooP

Show up early.

Be dressed for the conditon of the day/enviroment.

Be curdious and personable.

Thank him for the opportunity. (before the ride / interview)

Display a willingness to listen.

Know the FM for type...WELL!

Answer questions honestly, saying "I do not know" is not a bad thing.

Fly to the best of your ability.....same as you did with your instructor. (good night rests helps here as you know)

Thank him after the ride and interview, wether you get it or not!!!!!

ATITUDE wins most time.

and most importantly, enjoy it!

(dam I sound like a old woman) :wacko:

One thing that will really impress a check pilot is that if he gives you a suggestion or a pointer try to do it or stop doing it what ever the case may be. I went on a check ride and he said the reason I got the job was because when he told me I was over controlling I stoped. Natrually I have a habit of doing it and I make a effort to stop. He said that I had lots to learn but I displayed a willingness to improve. Other than that and every thing you said at the begining of the topic will be good. Don't worry if your landing are a little rough or your hovering isn't perfect, he will understand that it might have been a while since you've been behind the sticks.

Congradulations mate :up:

MG

Ohh, all these guys said evething, not very much to add, but....

I remember one thing, and i'm earing and saying that for almost 20 years: never be dangerous!

Have a Safety attitude, safety mind, safety controls...

You do not need to prove great control (and you can't do it with your experience), you need to do like our brothers said before, and have & show a safety life. Your instructor need to trust you: " oh, I'm seeing a nice carreer in this young guy.."

I'm always impressed by any driver that is willing to take the initiative, in other words to be the P.I.C. as that little slip of paper from Transport entitles you to be. That said you need to be prepared to fill that position, don't be afraid to ask to borrow a flight manual before your check ride and if possible, arrive early to have a look around the a/c you'll be flying. Know the required aerodrome frequencies and fly the a/c like the guy/gal beside you is a paying passenger, while not forgetting that it's okay to ask them questions or for clarification.

Remember a check ride is not just an assessment of whether your current abilities

meet the minimum standard but also a look at how much training the company will have to put into you to meet the requirements for the work they'll have you doing.

If things don't work out ask why and what it is that you need to know or do differently then use that knowledge for the next time. Also don't be afraid to ask for a reference it might be that the company taking a look at you is fine with your flying but is just looking for someone with a different set of skills or background for their operation.

If you love to fly it will show.

Snoop if you are who I think you are you'll do just fine. Good luck :up:

Yeah, Snoop if you are who I think you are, I'm sure your flying will be just fine. Maybe just get a belt or some suspenders or grow an *** or do somethin' to keep your pants up :punk: Plumbers the guy thats supposed to have that problem :up:

Show up early.

Be dressed for the conditon of the day/enviroment.

Be curdious and personable.

Thank him for the opportunity. (before the ride / interview)

Display a willingness to listen.

Know the FM for type...WELL!

Answer questions honestly, saying "I do not know" is not a bad thing.

Fly to the best of your ability.....same as you did with your instructor. (good night rests helps here as you know)

Thank him after the ride and interview, wether you get it or not!!!!!

ATITUDE wins most time.

and most importantly, enjoy it!

(dam I sound like a old woman) :wacko:

All real good points

Also try to find out some info on the airport / heliport for traffic patterns and radio frequencies - nothing like taking off into wind by darting across the active fixed wing runway without looking either right or left to wake up the check pilot- of course the check pilot should brief you on this but it is best to stay alert.

If the check pilot is doing more than one ride or is taking tow of you up at once with a seat change mid-flight ask to ride along or try to sit in the back and fly second then listen and watch to learn what the check pilot is expecting - learn from the mistakes of others.

Be sure to take off the tiedown and fasten your seat belt - I'm not joking - I had one guy forget both. I think the tie down gaff made him so nervous that it lead to the seatbelt problem - I aborted the ride and we went and had a coffee then started again - he did a lot better on the second attempt. People do weird stuff on assessment rides - nerves and the fact they may not have flown for a while can do that.

Do not do anything you think is not safe or beyond your abilities. There is a fine line here but err on the side of caution.

In the air, when given a task explain briefly, repeat briefly, what you are doing but then shutup and concentrate on the flying.

Keep in mind you not only have to land in the confined area but have to take off too so plan your departure on you recce. I only say this as I have seen some interesting departures on these type of rides caused by a good approach followed by a take off towards an obstacle 5 or 600 feet from the confined area.

I used to have a set ride that I would brief and have all candidates fly. While not designed to screw the person up or overload them it had some interesting stuff to show whether the person had situational awareness. The ride took about 30 minutes but some were much, much shorter. One fellow never did find the airport again. even when it was directly below him.

Oh yeah you won't make any points by dicussing your expected high salary and the fact you don't do tent camps or a tour over 4 weeks! Trust me it happened - I refered him to Air Canada.

Don't show up with your girl / boy friend in tow so she / he can "come along for the ride."

Some very strange people show up that do not in any way resemble the resume or the person you had that great phone conversation with.

Having said all that - relax and enjoy.

-on the "Dont be afraid to say 'I dont know'" topic-

If you dont know, at least know where to find it

"I dont know but I have it written on my kneeboard"

"I dont know, I can look it up, it will be in the enine section of the FM"

All that good stuff. This isnt from me, dont be worried about taking that advice. It worked really well, picked up quite a few points on my practise flight test by saying "I dont know the exact proceedure, but the immediate action is to do A, then B, then pull out my checklist to cross referance"

Good thread :up: