Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Saw This On H-a-c... Pretty Sad

Guest JeffyG

Will Fly for Food!!

47 year old 206 pilot with 300 hours seeks entry level opportunity to learn and grow with a good operation. No expectations of earnings, just want a chance to continue to become as good a pilot as I can. Any suggestions? non smoker, non drinker, mature pilot with marketing and management skills to offer

woohoo canadian rotory industry...

It is a sad day when a man's labour isn't worth anything. I turned down three jobs on my journey to where I am because they either wouldn't pay, I would have had to pay them or they wanted me to lie about my hours to the insurance company. Either way, it doesn't do anything good for the industry or the next up and coming pilots next year or the year after. :down:

my 2 cents

It is a sad day when a man's labour isn't worth anything. I turned down three jobs on my journey to where I am because they either wouldn't pay, I would have had to pay them or they wanted me to lie about my hours to the insurance company. Either way, it doesn't do anything good for the industry or the next up and coming pilots next year or the year after. :down:

my 2 cents

I'm with you on that one there 119. I started a thread a whil back about this and I think it's a good idea to keep poping this topic up every now and then so all the new comers can have a read. I think it's absolute Bull S&*T that low time pilots who have just put in a HUGE investment for their licences have to compete with lowtimers who have so little respect for their abilites to work for free.

That being said I still believe that it's not nessesaraly the low timers fault but the employer that allows this to happen. If a operator is willing to have ground crew they should pay for them. If it's a problem for them to be able to afford a ground crew guy they should stop undercutting other companys with lower rates. That way they can afford to pay all their employees. (a little off topic but still a part of the problem)

To all you new guys out there; Have respect for yourselfs and don't work for free. There are very reputable operators out there that are willing to pay a fair wage for your skills. Obviously if you invested that kind of money into the course you also know that it's pretty competative out there but there is a demand for pilots and if you knock down enough doors you will find a position. Take it from me, it took me 5 years to get in but i'm now nearing the 1000 hr mark and I never worked for free.

Sorry about the rant but this topic is very personal to me because my gound crew days are not far behind me and I saw alot of people who were passed over for a flying job, myself among them, because I simply couldn't afford to work for free.

Good luck out there guys

SG

I can't agree with you more Some Guy. My first job was as ground crew mostly, with a few ferry's and one job for two days if I recall and although the wage was low, they were paying me. I encourage all the newbies to never work for free too. I was down in the states doing training a couple years back and was blown away by the charter rates of the Longranger in compaired to what we were getting up here in Canada(400 more/hr not including the exchange rate). I think with the highly competitive market our tarrifs have not increased with the inflation and operating costs. This can only affect the wages of all personel, but especially I think the lower time guys get hammer from it. I know this is kinda off topic like you said, but my thinking is that one would change the other.

fly safe and keep the blue side up :up: And cheers to those guys that are flying in the slow time. :punk:

Boys....

Go to Verticalreference.com and read 'his' ad under employment. Same guy looking to start a Southern Alberta EMS helicopter project!!! I am totally confused!

Position Description: pilot/engineer wanted for rotary EMS operation Startup operation will require an experienced do-it-all type of person willing to assist in what could include opportunities for part ownership

Contact FAX:

Contact Email: l*lfor*@shaw.** (Hope this is OK Kyle)

Contact Phone:

Contact Name: Larry

Job Location: southern alberta, canada

Boys....

Go to Verticalreference.com and read 'his' ad under employment. Same guy looking to start a Southern Alberta EMS helicopter project!!! I am totally confused!

Position Description: pilot/engineer wanted for rotary EMS operation Startup operation will require an experienced do-it-all type of person willing to assist in what could include opportunities for part ownership

Contact FAX:

Contact Email: l*lfor*@shaw.** (Hope this is OK Kyle)

Contact Phone:

Contact Name: Larry

Job Location: southern alberta, canada

things that make you go HMMMMMMM! :blink::wacko: