Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Payback Monies

I have come across a situation where i am not sure what is the right thing to do.

A company from another town talks to you, is interested in you. They pay a flight to and from. put you in accomodations for a few days. still interested. you do the paperwork nessessary. They in all intentions hire you. pay you for the time you spent there. paid your per diams. Then 2 weeks later you decided its not for you.

Are you obligated to pay back any monies or is it just the cost of doing business for the company.

I just don't want to see if i was to talk to them, i would not be given the same with the same intentions.

Am i wrong in thinking I would call and make arrangements for repayment of some sort.

You bring about a dilema that I'm sure some others have faced.

The following questions being;

Did you provide your current employer a chance to offer a counter-offer from the one provided?

did the company that talked to you ask because you inquired or did they solicitated you on their own?

the answers could be this.

your current company was never informed.

thus never able to counter-offer

you inquired to said company, and they offered the services to talk to you.

they solicitated you of their own will.

All that being said, the company spent the funds to find out IF you and them would be a match. You've decided that it's not a match, inform them of that and thank them for their hospitality, and let them know that they are on your return to list for the future.

there's no harm in being professional.

I myself don't see a need to return funds spent by said company.

This is an interesting one.....here is a question for you....

Lets say you move your belongings to the new town, and a month later they decide you are not for them....would you expect them to cover relocation costs??

Are these relatively comparable??

Not sure what the right answer is, but it is something that came to mind when I read your post...

keep us posted

Lets say you move your belongings to the new town, and a month later they decide you are not for them....would you expect them to cover relocation costs??

If said company is willing to hire you, then moving expenses should be addressed BEFORE the move is made. I learned that one the hard way, lost $1200 in moving funds because I didn't make the deal up front.

I came to Canada under 5000 base pay 50 an hour. Rent a house for me till my famely comes over in september.

Got here bad season, ended up with lifing in an old office... no kitchen... 2500 base and 30 an hour.....

there don`t even worry about the money....

handshakes in Canada are worth nothing.......they do it to u in a hearttbeat....

One Chiefpilot ask me once why all the Pilots leave if they have there hours....well treat them like a human then they stick around.....

Are these relatively comparable??

Not sure what the right answer is, but it is something that came to mind when I read your post...

keep us posted

The relocation cost are a whole different thing. What i saw was a pre-hire cost spent by a company. basicly excepting of job. not nessessary starting till a month later, being paid and then turning down the position.

Me, I would have called and at least put the ball in the companies hands if they wanted some or all back. not just walk away. other wise i would call a company across the country. have them fly me there. visit my friends and have a free flight. don't think that is fair either.

It should be a gentlemans agreement. like going on course. give the company some time.

Relocation costs? Many management positions when they want someone to move. all costs including the relestate costs are covered. what happened in this industry?

As i said. on the first topic. i would have offered. so not to give myself a bad name and not screw it for the next guy

My two cents, it's a small industry and don't burn bridges it could bite you back one day, At least explain to the said company that it wasnt for you and thank them, leave no hard feelings, Not all companies in Canada are bad unlike fifth elemnet implied. If the company wants to be unprofessional about it let them, but you can maintain your professionalism.

displayname;

Nice intentions to phone and ask, that's what I would do unless you feel they would take advantage of your honesty but you are the judge of that.

Too bad there are some crappy attitudes out there taking advantage of people, good to see your at least trying to be positive. As far a moving expenses, have been at three companies which paid moving expenses, some only the u-haul but at one we paid to move and the real estate fees as well. I think it is only fair if are required to live in a specific local and be available on a specific date. But to be fair I know of various pilots whom recieved tens of thousands of dollars of training with only 100 hours under their belt and leave in first year all the while the company paid another one of these young fellas 34,000 to fly and maintain his aircraft for a year and fly over 800 hours. All's fair in love and aviation it seems.

sc

But to be fair I know of various pilots whom recieved tens of thousands of dollars of training with only 100 hours under their belt and leave in first year all the while the company paid another one of these young fellas 34,000 to fly and maintain his aircraft for a year and fly over 800 hours. All's fair in love and aviation it seems.

sc

Is it uncommon for employers to require employees to sign retention contracts when providing training? It's common place in other industries where the cost of training is substantially less - I find it hard to believe that this industry wouldn't follow suit.

If I were in the same situation and had accepted the position I think offering to pay half the expenses would be fair. Both the employer and employee took a financial risk and should share the burden. If the agreement was to see if the company 'fit' the employee, then there should be no expectation of reimbursement to the employer.