Carrying Handguns

Well..this is kinda silly I guess. I was talking with an old trapper today and he told me that helicopter pilots, at one time, :wacko: were allowed to carry side arms. I think I recall sometihng like that in CARS years ago. Mabey one of you folks can enlighten me on this. I do recall something about it when you are working in the "unsettled areas" but I dont know what the law is now. Anyway. Whats your thoughts? Anyone know? Cap...any input. thanx.

collective

Well..this is kinda silly I guess. I was talking with an old trapper today and he told me that helicopter pilots, at one time, :wacko: were allowed to carry side arms. I think I recall sometihng like that in CARS years ago. Mabey one of you folks can enlighten me on this. I do recall something about it when you are working in the "unsettled areas" but I dont know what the law is now. Anyway. Whats your thoughts? Anyone know? Cap...any input. thanx.

collective

Well Collective-- I'm can't remember what the regs were in the mid 60's, nobody cared, but we carried whatever we wanted, over/unders, rifles, 357's, whatever.

It just seemed as long as it was covered or behind the seat cushion, there was never much said. I have no idea what the regs are now, but an RPG would seem to be the answer.

OH yeah - In the late 70s and early 80s you could get a carry permit.

A lot of guys went and got permits and the biggest handguns they could carry - 44s, 357s, 45s the odd 9mm. For a while there the noise was incredible. It died off after awhile.

There were some dumb stunts that were the result of testosterone and liquid refreshment .

One sober idiot even chased some geese around while firing his 44 out the window of a 206 at the hapless birds - he did not hit any which was no surprise.

I do not recall anyone ever using one in an actual survival situation.

I do not think you can get a carry permit anymore but a call to the RCMP should answer your question and put you on a couple of watch lists. I suggest calling from a phone booth!

:o Splitpin...Ya...know what kinda idiots of which you speak. Anyway, due to my not wanting to be on anyones 'watch list', ('specially in these times)...and the fact that I have no need to carry anything other than my lunch. Its just info for the old fella I was talking with yesterday. As well, because our buddies at the cop shops have better things to do and in this area are young enough not to be able to recall or look it up, I thought some of you guys and gals may recall what was the deal. I too recall some time back when people used to carry shotguns and all sorts of shoot'n irons in the back (hat rack( and witnessed some stange goings on. Similer to what you might imagine would take place in the Ozarks. Not that there is anything wrong with the Ozarks!

Thanx for the info and..Oh ya...Merry Christmas! :punk:

I have looked into this a little bit, because I had a situation with a customer with a hand gun. As far as I have learned you can carry a handgun if:

1.) Have a restricted firearms liscense.

2.) Apply and recieve a Permit to Carry for each Province or Territory you work in.

3.) Have an authorization to transport from you house to the remote working area.

4.) You also have to have a Wildlife Handgun safety course. ( I have heard that some provinces also require a proficiency test )

The handgun has to be carried in a holster and must be unloaded while in the heliocopter. A call to the RCMP will not work to answer or confirm this, you need to contact the Chief Firearms Officier (may be a RCMP, but get the phone number for him/her from 1-800-731-4000 ) for the area you are applying for. The officier I spoke to mentioned that the process for applying for a permit wouldn't even start until you had the restricted liscense, a gun, wildlife safety course and a authorization to transport the handgun from your house to the range. Also the Permit to Carry is only valid in the Terriory it is applied for and only while in remote locations.

Hope this helps. After looking into this, it is no wonder guys don't bother and just hide it under the seat :shock:

I've got the permit, its tough to keep and they want $80 to keep it active. You also have to have a letter from your chief pilot. Their big worry is what you do with it when you are parked for the night.

I keep mine current just for spite.

You don't need the permit to carry to a range, just where you live and your normal place of work/departure.

Oh ya you also have to show currentancy now and again.

Cheers