Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gloves

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't take the cold call into trev deely motorcycles grab a pair of harley davidson heated gloves. The next stop a radio store find a 12 volt to 24 volt converter talk to the DOM he is sure to have a cannon plug from an old fuel pump somewhere and away you guy flying all canadian winter long with warm hands. This got me through years of shake flying, couldn't find the answer to the wave of water down the back of the floatersuit though. Moved on and the one thing the co-pilot is never allowed to touch while logging is the heater increase or decrease dial. gloves work well when it is nugging 50 degrees in the cockpit on fires in australia too if nothing else to keep that aweful sweaty palms sort of dry, 100% cotton for this mission. My two bobs worth.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, gloves should be worn. And to put it into perspective, all aircrew should have dual layer when possible. I was involved with the investigation into the crash of a SAR Labrador helicopter on the east coast, the one that crashed as a result of an explosion in mid-air amungst other issues, but needless to say, the autopsies that I had a look at revealed a lot of burns to the bodies where only one layer was worn. In fact one of the SAR Techs in the back was not wearing gloves and the other was. Burns were horrific. I'm not telling anyone what to do, only that flash burns and a career ending event can be avoided with proper gear. I'll always wear gloves. I use the British RAF gloves, they are all leather and come back to mid point on your arm. Excellent gloves. The American ones aforementioned in the thread are good to, but tend to be a little cold in the winter.

Nomex/leather military type gloves wear well and don't degrade dexterity too much....you get used to them. The MEC Windstoppers are excellent too. I have a set a size too big that can be pulled on over the nomex/leather flying gloves to block wind and water when needed.