Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

As355 Vs B3

Hey guys, I got a question...

I was was working a Longranger LR and the thing just didn't have the jam of the good ol' L4. Boy are those LR's ever pieces of sh@t, not worth the flight manual paper they are written on, you can't even take 6 pax up to 12,000 feet on a +30 day..... :stupid::stupid: :down: :down:

Come on you guys, lets compare A/C in the same category. I've got a fair chunk of hrs in a Twinstar and they perform great. But this drivel is like someone climbing in an R44 and saying "Boy this thing is no Jetranger hey? What a piece of crap." Well Derrrrr? THEY ARE NOT THE SAME MACHINE. Look at the performance charts, compare them, the Twinstar will do what the chart say it will. It's performance is between a BA and a B1. Not a B3.

Yes, I agree the maintenance is high on it, but like any A/C out there, if you fall behind on it, you will be chasing problems. In my opinion, since they do need extra TLC, they should be situated on a base where the maintenance can be kept up. They are not good pool A/C. I also agree the electrical is a nightmare, but if you stay on top of it, it works. I think the FX is the best option for a 355 over factory, I think they would keep up in the pool just fine.

But please, please, guys, either have experience on the A/C or know the performance charts before you start spouting off about how one A/C sucks compared to another. And compare A/C of equal performance levels.

Phil, the twinstar engine cowlings I've seen deal with the heat just fine, unless you try to open the cowling while the engine is running and lift it right into the exhaust gas...that's not good for any cowling. You have a great point about the hydraulics, they are the best I've seen. There are alot of other great ideas on the 355 that get overlooked too.

Jetbox, how is the Twinstar horrible for slinging? I've done lots, and it feels just like any other A-star body I've strapped into. Please, back up your statements with specific problems, otherwise chalk it up to a bad day on the top of the line.

And T55, I know for a fact that the Twinstar will cruise OEI at gross weight. And even though it will be a fast landing, it can be done safely and at the time you choose.

mountainflier, your question was a valid one, but as you know already, you are still comparing two A/C from two different performance classes.

As most of you can tell, I am a fan of the Twinstar. I've flown it, it's fun and challenging, I like it, and I'll also be the first to agree it's no B2 or B3, but it has other advantages that seem to be overlooked quite often. So in trying to keep things constructive and open... open fire on me, bring it. B)

Fenestron, what do you know of an N2? Fill me in, or are you just out pullin' chains again.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jetbox, how is the Twinstar horrible for slinging? I've done lots, and it feels just like any other A-star body I've strapped into. Please, back up your statements with specific problems, otherwise chalk it up to a bad day on the top of the line.

I know it slings like any other Astar, what I meant was, if you use it for slinging, it will give you more problems than a single engine Astar because it will be working a lot harder than if it's just moving pax's from point A to point B.

My personal experience with a twin star in the bush was not a good one, it broke down a lot more than any other single Astar I've worked on.

That was my experience, you don't like it, tough luck!

Don't get your panties in a bunch because some of us have had bad experiences with twinstars.

My two cents;

The N model and B3 take the same gross weight OGE to the same high altitude on paper. And since the N is 4-500 lbs heavier the payload suffers, but you do have the redundancy. The F models are very much less in performance. RPM control is also not so hot in twins from what I hear...apparently in FX is better but not perfect.

But if you are over the salt chuck with 3 pax -10C and a 30 knt wind, which do you choose? I'd take a clapped out old F over a B3 any day.

Its about the right machine for the right job.

Fish - that's a good point you make about the 355 not necessarily being a pool aircraft, and an especially good one about keeping up with the maintenance - I've flown them for some years and would rather fly the twin since I am happier with the hydraulics, but that is a personal choice. My comment about cowlings came directly from the engineers at my last place, and the F1 will definitely run out of puff on a hot day, even in UK. All that being said, up to 2400 kg all up weight, it will fly away OEI, and it's still a good ship in the right circumstances - did I hear that someone had finally got a 355 out on the oil patch? I certainly mentioned the idea to a few people when I was out there. I even tried to get Cougar to use theirs over there, 'cos there sure wasn't much going in in Halifax for most of the year! :)

Phil

Worked on 355's at Abitibi and Canadian and except for the electrical issues they were good aircraft. We worked sesmic with Abitibi's 355 C-GHSO in the foothills of Alberta and Chetwynd etc. and it did the job just fine. On three oil related audits I was directly involved in 2006, the customers were pushing the twin engine aircraft in a big way and especially one's that had CAT A performance. The twin engine is the wave of the future and the 355 is the cheapest way to get in.

I know it slings like any other Astar, what I meant was, if you use it for slinging, it will give you more problems than a single engine Astar because it will be working a lot harder than if it's just moving pax's from point A to point B.

This goes for any single engine A/C as well, we all know that you have more cycles and more TE's doing sling work, than you do from moving pax's from A to B. I still don't see how, just because it is a twin, it has to work harder than a single engine A/C? My point was that the Twinstar can handle whatever you throw at it, as long as it is within the performance charts. And it will do so without 'working it harder'.

My personal experience with a twin star in the bush was not a good one, it broke down a lot more than any other single Astar I've worked on.

That was my experience, you don't like it, tough luck!

Well, I've worked with certain types of A/C that break down alot more than other types. The first thought in my head is 'Gee, we better get a handle on the maintenance on this thing' not 'This type of A/C sucks!' I've worked the Twinstar for alot more than 6 weeks, so stop me if I sound like a broken record here, 'If you fall behind on the maintenance with any A/C, you will be chasing problems.'

Don't get your panties in a bunch because some of us have had bad experiences with twinstars.

My panties are on straight and not bunched up at all, I just wish you could have seen a Twinstar that would have been at the top of it's game. I think you would have been happy with BA/B1 performance with the added safety of a twin. That, and with two stoves, we support the oil and gas industry just that much more ;):D .