Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What's Your Shift?

Skywrench

My employer is looking into altering the AME shift, and have hired a consultant to help with the task (where do I get a job like that). Just curious to see what kind of shifts everyone else works, or what you felt the best shift you ever worked was. Currently, we are working a 5 on/5 off shift, alternating between 12hr. days and 12hr. nights. They are looking for input from us, but due to the aircraft's flight schedules, we are pretty limited in options.

Best shift I ever worked on aviation-related was at Buttonville. We mimicked the MOH schedule at that time based on 4 different crews. I still say if I could ever work that shift again, doing whatever, I would. It was great.

Found I had a lot of time and it worked out quite nicely. Especially the 6 days off each month. I will always remember it....

Beginning Monday Night...

Mon 6pm - 6am

Tue 6pm - 6am

Wed 6pm - 6am

Thu 6pm - 6am

Fri - off

Sat- off

Sun - off

Mon - off

Tue - 6am - 6pm

Wed - 6am - 6pm

Thu - 6am - 6pm (24 hours off till next shift)

Fri - 6pm - 6am

Sat - 6pm - 6am

Sun - 6pm - 6am

Mon - off

Tue - off

Wed - off

Thu - off

Fri - 6am - 6pm

Sat - 6am - 6pm

Sun - 6am - 6pm

Mon - 6am - 6pm

Tue - off

Wed - off

Thu - off

Fri - off

Sat- off

Mon - off (start all over again at 6pm)

• 2 months later...
Guest graunch1

There was some twinkle toes from YOW at last year's WAMEA that presented this dat, she seemed surprized about the findings, everyone in ht eroom with some time in was thinking "Yup, so what's new?" <_<

Funny how it's "News" that AME's put in long hours..

It's all tied in with their Human Factors push..

What they have to learn is to train the owner/operator about this.. It's always a tough one cause, if the airplanes don't fly, the company doesn't make any money.. If they don't make any money, we don't have a job..

Of course, if we work too many hours, get too fatigued and miss something.. Airplane crashes and we don't have a job either..

Catch 22...

Guest Bullet Remington

Mine is "supposed" to be 5 on, 5 off. Sometimes it 14 on 3 off, 21 on 5 off, 30 on 1 off...... :wacko:

Depends where the machine is, how many spares, what check, where the check is done, the time off year, the number of people sick, on vacation..... :wacko::blink:

Of course that's the plank world! As per that Transport study, never really minded the hours in the Fling wing world. After workin all nite I could sleep like a baby in the truck between hot refueling! :up: :up:

The shift I always liked best was the 4+4.. Lot's of time off, days off in the week are always good because if you want to do something, chances are the crowds are less. It does however make it hard to commit to a hockey or baseball team, but that's usually pretty easy to get around.

Another shift that I worked that was not to bad was when I was flying for Bill McCully, we worked a 4+2.. It worked pretty good too..