212 Electrical Troubleshooting

Nova212

Hey all 212 engineers. Looking for some help with an electrical snag. Have a machine that has a persistent No #1 Gen that wont come online. Replaced the DC control box and it comes online for awhile then blows the DC control box. Not sure where to start. Please help. Thanks

Hey all 212 engineers. Looking for some help with an electrical snag. Have a machine that has a persistent No #1 Gen that wont come online. Replaced the DC control box and it comes online for awhile then blows the DC control box. Not sure where to start. Please help. Thanks

Do the power diode check in the MM you may have a bad or intermittent diode, could also be a short on the #1 side, once had a machine with a few fillings in the deck plug at the starter that would short the pins and do the same thing and it drove me crazy trying to find it. The DCU has a lot of circuits tied into it so start wringing em out.

Nova,

Not sure if this will help you but we recently had a Generator on an Astar that wouldn't come on line every so often or would drop offline just like that, it turned out to be the armature shorting out inside the unit... Finally figured that one out when we just changed the generator and sent it in for rebuild after nothing else would fix it...

Hope this helps somewhat...

If it is a single buss machine, the diode check is not applicable. Have you swapped generators? I have also seen the wires chaffing on the inside of the cowls causing them to drop off. Don't forget you have 2 of everything in a 212, try swapping component by component, takes time, but you never know.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Nova212, looks like the fault was the generator field circuit breaker. Reset it a couple of times and the gen came online. Gen has not fallen off line since. Overhaul of the DCU's showed the same diode blowing in all the failed boxes, I guess it was causing a feedback into the box or something. The breaker still had continuity when metered. Don't you hate it when it is a little item like this that stumps a lot of people. An apprentice told me the breaker popped this summer, work fine after reseting.