Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flying In The Wind

Our customer limits passenger movements on the offshore helidecks to 52 knots, as it gets difficult to walk, and on a platform 200 feet off the ocean, it'd be quite a fall! That being said, I've seen 60 knots quite a few times. I shot an approach to minimums last year with a 70 knot quartering headwind, it was a handful and quite rough, and I've seen over 80 knots a few times. I think for the boys out of Saint John's, high winds are pretty regular.

As I recall a few years back Highland had in there COM, not to fly cirques when windy (anyone verify?) Some manufacturers publish limits in the FM, and of course critical wind azimuths are also a factor when deciding when to, (or not) to fly. I have obseved over the years pilots that will go out in what some would consider horrific winds, but having said that, they were very familiar with the terrain (geography) and performance limits of their aircraft.

It all comes down to a combination of experience, knowledge, mission requirements, and personel comfort levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I have never really worked for a company that would impose limits. For myself, in the mountains, it kinda goes by pucker factor and whether or not you can actually put that load where you need to and still keep the machine in the air.

Usually this means anything over 40 knots in the mountains can be downright nasty, depending on how close to the ugly sides of the hills you have to work. Really depends how deep into the hills you are and how rugged they are. 40 knots in flatter terrain just helps you lift the drills easier. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion.

B)-->

QUOTE(Jet B @ Jan 30 2007, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I have never really worked for a company that would impose limits. For myself, in the mountains, it kinda goes by pucker factor and whether or not you can actually put that load where you need to and still keep the machine in the air.

Usually this means anything over 40 knots in the mountains can be downright nasty, depending on how close to the ugly sides of the hills you have to work. Really depends how deep into the hills you are and how rugged they are. 40 knots in flatter terrain just helps you lift the drills easier. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion.

Exactly! Well said

B)-->

QUOTE(Jet B @ Jan 30 2007, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just my opinion.

True, true.

Worst turbulence I have experienced has been east of Swan Hills, cracked my helmet on 206 doorpost so don't have to have huge mountains to ruin your day.

Just remember that in steep terrain the upflow/downflow is directly related to performance and 5 knts of downflow is 500 fpm, more than any jetranger loaded will vertical thru.....

Upflow side can be as dangerous as downflow side of mountain. Vortex ring state needs 300 to 1500 feet per minute rate of descent,,,if you are hovering or approaching in upflow of 3 to 15 knots of wind be carefull taking that extra weight as you are close to entering Vortex ring. Have had it on a pad in loaded 206,,,shaking and shuddering while at 100 % Q, unloaded one pax and vertical like scalded cat. Hmmm, equivalent rate of descent of more than 300fpm, low airspeed and power, all three that are needed for Vortex ring.

Always keep an out(back door open as they say).

Keep airspeed on the clock until you are on final, have lost it in gusty winds in turn and fell out of sky quite quickly.

Keep ball in center to keep pax from getting sick and two bladed rotor from mastbumping.

Keep a little more fuel in to prevent fuel starvation due to sloshing.

Back off power to keep a bit of safe margin for retreating blade stall or servo-transparency problems.

Left hand pedal turns in american and right pedal turns in french machines to keep from losing t/r effectiveness.

Careful parking behind hangers and thinking that it is blocking the wind, usually very turbulent and blades can sail much more violently than just parking in open area.

Shutdown wind on front/right on american and left/front french to prevent blade sailing and choppin da boom off.

Cyclic into wind helps prevent hammering in american built aircraft so brief customers accordingly.

TIE THE FRIGGIN BLADES DOWN ALWAYS.

Watch start temps when starting downwind and know the FM limits for starting the type.

Use rotor brake if equipped.

Read FM for additional information re wind.

Plan ferry flights accordingly.

Carefull with sythetic lines while landing or taking off as they fly around more more. Some of these fancy covers sail alot more than just old duct taped lines.

Some say the wind blows others say it just sucks.

zitzall for now