Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Camp Experineces

So here I am up here in north western ScrachyBum in what I thought would be a usual tent camp where the guy says "it's not bad at all"....

This one is really nice, they have a great pad cut out for the machine and who can complain with a internet connection that connects into your own personal laptop. Anyways this got me thinking about all you experienced guys and gals out there having to brave some really substandard acomodations and I was wondering if you had any storys to share with the forum here.

Cheers

SG

There was the one time we got to discover the hard way that propane doesn't flow when it's colder than -40. So we were bundled up in camp, sleeping in full winter gear. The hot water tank also ran on propane, so no showers. Thank God for the hot coffee.

Then during that same week, trying to troubleshoot an electrical snag, why the long line wasn't working. A multimeter with an LCD display doesn't work in those temperatures.

Good food is mandatory for keeping morale up.

One camp would only provide bacon and cheese sandwiches for lunch, with cream of broccoli soup. Every day for a month.

I've never had a camp with internet connections.

Most of the camps I have been at have been awesome. One stands alone as my worst experience yet. High Arctic in Late August, giving fog, freezing precip and all round nastiness. The tents were mud floored with cots, no heaters and no real kitchen. For the lack of supplies, the cook did a great job. We had one small Honda gen to run the computers and any necessary electrics including the heli heaters. No showers and our porti was three walls just above waste height and a pot. The idea of water was let the muddy river next to us settle in pots for two days so it wasn't like drinking sand paper. Of course they figured it was a one week job, but because of the all round nastiness in weather, it took two weeks. Joys ! :blink:

Part of the job and a large learning curve at the same time. Lots of time watching the fog role through and playing crib for the first time in my life. <_< And entertaining our selves with a Hand gun magazine.

cheers

No good accom means no stay!

I stayed in Keypile for a couple nights once and that was bad enough.

I also had an engineer who is an awesome guy say to me at the end of a long fire day in a new town that i'm not sure if this hotel will be ok for you or not. I said if it's not good enough for me it's sure as **** not good enough for you. It smelt of sweat and rotten cabbage! I promtly told him to grab his gear and we found comfortable residence in a place 3 times the price but satisfactory to us both.

Take every luxury you can wherever you can because you never know when you'll be stuck in some one hotel town eating crap for days on end.

Well some have been funny but that usually happens if there is a bunch of chopper guys staying in the same camp and usually has something to do with a lot of rum and coke...the more guys shareing the misery the better and bring on the rum front.When the weather gets bad get out rum...next day will be severe clear...been in 5 star + camps to -5 stars...the worst one was in the arctic...tent with no door, no floor,no heat,woke up one day with a snow drift half way through the tent...food that you wouldn't feed a dog....next was over in alberta...sleeping under old jetbox on the aircraft cushions..woke up when the rain had soaked through to my backside...in time for the...well lets go giver here on that fire boys...another 12 hour day will do you good...haven't been back there since...almost 22 years and loving it....as for the good...most hydro camps were great and the Hecla resort in manitoba had to be the best...great rack of lamb...to go with the rum and the guys from MTS where the best to work for..bar none... :punk:

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words...."

DSCN0567.jpg

So I watched an episode recently of the History Channel's Wild West Tech, about 19th-century brothels (1865-1890). Some, set up in tents in mining camps, looked quite similar to this image. And that was over 100 years ago! :huh: I hope progress is made for you in this...our 21st...century. ;)

It is many "moons" ago in a place called James Bay, "Jimmy's Lagoon" or La Baie James..........take your pick as you know it.

Myself and three others (both pilots and engineers) are living in a 16' X 24' tent with plywood floors, door, and walls with a canvas "fly" for a roof. In the center of this tent is s space heater that provides more than ample heat, even though the temps outside are greater than -40F. There's a bed for each of us in each corner of the tent. We are warm and comfortable and since no flying is being done because of the temps, we are heavily into our latest card game rage........Euchre. Thsi game requires rapt attention and amongst it's experts there is little tolerance for slowness in playing each hand.

We are all sitting there at a table, wrapped-up in the game, when one of the the camp cooks knocks on our door and walks in holding a long rectangular box. He enquires as to whether we might have an air pump of some sort. We had a float-equipped 206 in the camp in the past and we advised "yes we did and it's just over there under that bed". We continue with our game until my opposite partner's eyes begin to grow very large and we all turned around to see what he was looking at. The cook had the contents of the box laying on a bed and was inflating it. As we watched a totally naked and very well endowed female was emerging on that bed. We were stuck for words and he finished his project and we all noticed that she was stiff as a board. He picked her up, stuck her under his arm like a board, thanked us very much and left the tent and did so as though he had just fixed a tire flat. :lol: :lol: