Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whats Fair For A Wrench?

ktown

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It never will

post-33-1169351554_thumb.jpgpost-33-1169351554_thumb.jpg

Yup, you're right Elvis, it will never change. Folks have been yapping about this problem for the last 50 years. I've started calling helicopters "The Winemakers". Squeeze the last possible drop of juice out of the grape, (engineer), throw away the skin, and go buy more grapes. However, there used to be a glut of grapes on the market. Have you checked the price of grapes lately?

I would agree with you Splitpin about the overworked part. I have worked as an apprentice and did my share of working longer hours than would ever be allowed in the piloting side of things. I don't think it will be long before duty days and hours get imposed on the Engineer's side of things especially as the requirements for them increases because there is a shortage of them.

As for doing a good DI, I feel that is my job and regardless of my mechanic doing one, I almost always do one too, especially when I am flying lots :rolleyes: .

cheers.

As for doing a good DI, I feel that is my job and regardless of my mechanic doing one, I almost always do one too, especially when I am flying lots :rolleyes: .

cheers.

Keep up your professionalism koalaa119, check, check, and double check, never let your guard down, trust no one, and never assume the other guy did it. :up: :up:

Keep up your professionalism koalaa119, check, check, and double check, never let your guard down, trust no one, and never assume the other guy did it. :up: :up:

Kinda off the topic of this thread, but I always try to find something wrong with the a/c when I do my DI. At least that is the idea behind the way I do my DI. I think in 9 years, I have only found 2 things that grounded the a/c, but that keeps me looking hard. :unsure: Not to say that someone else wasn't doing there job, but my thought is the more eyes :up: looking the better chance something gets caught before it causes and issue.

cheers.

to touch on your statement

" Not to say that someone else wasn't doing there job"

we know what you mean, but all too often this is true and this brings us back to the original part of this post....there are many that do deserve a fair wage, many who don't. To give one of those "don'ts" the same money you give one of the "do's" is unfair to say the least. That's why the whole pay scale issue, is such a difficult task at the best of times.

lets wait until the unions take hold and you know Joey no brains, who is one cotterpin away from disaster and your wives becoming widows, is making the same as Golden Wrench Terry who studies systems hard and works with a passion that would rival the Rosie/Trump feud.

There is no easy fix for the wage issue. My thoughts, a very basic base salary/daily rate with a performance bonus attached to it that makes up a good portion. That way, if you're a shmuck, it's hurts you where it matters most.....if you're a wizard with the wrenches....you get rewarded. Nothing like a good bit of competition to raise the bar.

The average person works about 2,000 hours a year. At $35 an hour that is at least $70,000 a year and this would be for a nine to five job five days a week with weekends and statutory holidays off.

That is without a doubt the funniest thing I have ever read on this site. Sorry Elvis.

9 to 5 with weekends off. Fat chance.....

anyone who posts that has absolutley no clue about the heli industry

responding to : "anyone who posts that has absolutley no clue about the heli industry"

let's look at it from the other point of view (every story has 2 sides):

maybe the heli industry has no clue about the rest of the blue collar working people. Most automotive mechanics with 10-15 years experience can make $35/hr. Their idea of overtime is maybe an hour or two, definitely not until 3 AM.........weekends off.....paid sick days. This brings me to my point:

maybe it is the heli industry's attitude that causes the shortage of engineers?

Regarding "what's fair for a wrench": in the hangar with 10 years licensed in the high $30s per hour, in the field low $300s per day with around $25 per flight hour.

just my 2 cents.

Splitpin: What's this with an HUP-3 as an avitar, were you Navy???

Airlines and most large organizations usually base wages on 40hr/ week and recognize weekends and statutory holidays as time-off.

The helicopter industry is still working in the dark ages as far as applying a sensible work ethic for people going to the field and working seven days a week.

Things will never change until the rates go to the level required, IMHO.

Cheers, Don