Whats Fair For A Wrench?

ktown

Hazy,

Touching on "the new generation of engineers". I have found that the majority of young people do not want to work all the time. ****, we hardly want to work at all. Myself, I have always wanted to do great in the industry, but I've learned that the harder you work the farther behind you become. As you increase your professionalism, there needs to be a benefit in doing so. This industry does not recognize the hard work and standard that we strive for. When a new problem shows itself the owners just throw more money our way. This is good, but it isn't fixing the problem. Its only putting a band-aid on the issues. The real problem is most of us young engineers (the new generation) would rather have more time to spend with friends and family, then make a good impression at work. Don't get me wrong, a good reputation is critical in this industry. But spending time with my wife is more important to me then making money. I think that AIDS has taken its toll on aviation and the youngsters are not going to put up with it anymore.

For that reason, I'm saying "the new generation of engineers would rather have more time off, then more money".

But you never know...... I might be way out to lunch.

You know something silverbullet??? I think you are absolutly right! And, I think a lot of us "older" fellows are just starting to figure that out! Kudos' to the younger folks on this site that are forcing us older folks to "WAKE UP AND SMELL THE EFFING COFFEE"!! Family and lifestyle first and foremost!

Thank-You silverbullet.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know something silverbullet??? I think you are absolutly right! And, I think a lot of us "older" fellows are just starting to figure that out! Kudos' to the younger folks on this site that are forcing us older folks to "WAKE UP AND SMELL THE EFFING COFFEE"!! Family and lifestyle first and foremost!

Thank-You silverbullet.

Kids are only young once and the grave is just a paycheque away. Better to take em out and play for the day, than go to work for the extra pay. Just my thinking.

Silverbullet,

Long story short: I was an apprentice. Older experienced engineer made things very clear to me. One of those things: this industry is a lifestyle choice. Lesson learned and understood.

So you have to choose your lifestyle. You can't change where an operator makes his/her bank. Choose your operator/employer accordingly, for your lifestyle choice. Base engineering sounds like what you are interested in. You have lots of opportunity for that. That being said.... how much do you expect to be paid for your lifestyle versus a guy like myself, med. inter. and light endorsed, whose bags are packed 24-7 and 365? This thread is about dollars..... So post it, what do you have and what do you want? Hazeus

There is one solid way to avoid Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome: GET OUT OF AVIATION! :lol:

Silverbullet,

Long story short: I was an apprentice. Older experienced engineer made things very clear to me. One of those things: this industry is a lifestyle choice. Lesson learned and understood.

So you have to choose your lifestyle. You can't change where an operator makes his/her bank. Choose your operator/employer accordingly, for your lifestyle choice. Base engineering sounds like what you are interested in. You have lots of opportunity for that. That being said.... how much do you expect to be paid for your lifestyle versus a guy like myself, med. inter. and light endorsed, whose bags are packed 24-7 and 365? This thread is about dollars..... So post it, what do you have and what do you want? Hazeus

There is one solid way to avoid Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome: GET OUT OF AVIATION! :lol:

Hazy:

From somebody who was in the industry for a while I would like to add the following comments.

If you think for one minute that the helicopter industry for the individuals that actually do the work is all about money, you are sadly mistaken or in the wrong profession. I would suggest that you get a book on the helicopter and bush flying etc., and have some idea of what you are talking about.

The helicopter industry has never been, except for a few anomolies, a 9-5 job and I don't see where that will ever change.

In your posting about going for the big bucks, remember everything is relative.

One of the MAJOR satisfactions that I had, every day, was that I loved going to work, doing something that I loved. And in writing this, I still do.

Cheers, Don

Thanks Don,

Your comments are a welcomed addition. :punk:

I still want to know what SB has to offer, where he wants to live, what he wants for working conditions and pay. Put the dream on paper (my computer screen). Hazeus

Hazy,

Sounds like you enjoy having aviation as your life. If that is all you care about, then working 24-7, 365 days a year would be great. In this case "Yes" money is definitely important. Sorry to have offended you. Not my intention.

I enjoy my job. Actually, I love my job. However, My job will always come 2nd to my family. That is all I'm saying. 24-7, 365 days a year does not work for me, and I imagine not for many people anymore. Thats the old way of the industry.

Base Job is definitely the way too go. You always get less pay, but the lifestyle is great. Its a beautiful thing when you can be happy both at work and at home.

As far as putting the dream on your computer screen. Sorry. Not interested.

SB,

Yes, I enjoy aviation.

I do not work all the time. I have a lot of time off. I go to a great place for that time off. That being said when there is a job to do, I go and do it. I tend to do 4 weeks in 2 weeks out. I do make myself available on short notice and I will extend my tour if the operator asks me to. I will work in the Arctic or northern Alberta or northern Manitoba or Quebec or any other place that I am required. I do not gripe about the type of machine that I will have to tend to. So, I keep the bags ready to go!

Just remember not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Best wishes to you and your family. :punk:

If you ever do decide to put it on paper, maybe an operator will PM you with an offer. <_<

Hazeus

• 3 weeks later...
If you have 5 years on type you should be demanding $100 000 + a year with a true 2 weeks on 2 weeks off . Not this 2 weeks in the bush 1 wek in the hanger bs

Just so I am clear, you would like someone like myself, a Director of Maintenance, to pay you $100,000/year for 6 months work; is this correct?

and you are only able to work 14 days/month, correct?

and you would probably like some holidays also?

would you like some training thrown in also?

how about a type course?

are you sure you're not a pilot?