Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies Book

Cougar69

Hello all,

Happy to have found this website/forum where it has greatly improved my knowledge on this industry. I saw a couple post with people talking about this book which look a good head start before training.

I was wondering if anyone know if there's a french version of this book? I can read and understand english but would be much easier to understand technical subjet in my primary language that's for sure.

Thank You gents

Hi!

For a 'northern american french book', you can check this one:

"THÉORIE ÉLÉMENTAIRE DE L'HÉLICOPTÈRE (RALETZ)"

and this one:

"APPRENTISSAGE DU PILOTAGE D'HELICOPTERE (ASSELIN)"

and also maybe this last one:

"L'Hélicoptère. Théorie et pratique (Broché) "

I speak french too: feel free to ask me any question!

:)

Merci pour les liens mais les livres semblent pas complet comme le livre de Phil Croucher alors je crois que je vais y aller avec le livre en anglais :)

Thank You for the links but the books doesn't seem to be as complete as the one made by Phil Croucher so I will go with the english book :)

Pascal

Hello Cougar 69:

I'm sorry, but as yet there is no French version! However, if there is somebody qualified to take the job on, I'm happy to talk about producing one!

I would only recommend Culhane to someone who is converting from a foreign professional licence and who already has the knowledge or who is in a classroom situation with guided study, as only then would the numerous mistakes be picked up. Last I heard, he's still calling it Guy's Ballot's Law!

Phil

Hello Cougar 69:

I'm sorry, but as yet there is no French version! However, if there is somebody qualified to take the job on, I'm happy to talk about producing one!

I would only recommend Culhane to someone who is converting from a foreign professional licence and who already has the knowledge or who is in a classroom situation with guided study, as only then would the numerous mistakes be picked up. Last I heard, he's still calling it Guy's Ballot's Law!

Phil

Hello Phil,

Don't be sorry about that, like I said I will go on and get your book anyway, I'm sure there's more demand english vs french. How many pages is there in the book just by curiosity?

Pascal

Phil, can your book be picked up at Chapters or any other bookstore in Canada? It's more for convenience since they're only a block from my workplace but a search of their site came up with nothing.

And while we're on the subject of reading material, are there any other books pilots would recommend for people wanting to learn? I'm almost finished Shawn Coyle's book, The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters. It gives a good background into how helicopters fly and all the associated dynamics. I have found it to be a good read and very informative. The layout and flow is good but the graphs need work (unlabeled axis etc). Examples of the information in the graphs would be helpful too as it is hard to visualize how they would apply sometimes.