Startup With Stop Rotor

C-FXFX

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question. I would like to hear a good answer too.

I've seen a 212 started with the rotor brake on when the winds were strong and gusting. The brake was released about half way thru the start to help reduce blade sailing. It seemed to work. I know it's not a normal procedure but it may be done in the field I'm quessing. Maybe a question to send to Bell.

Starting up with the rotors stopped......now there is a novel idea. I've been doing that exact procedure for over 35 years and it works every time, at least on the Bell 47, Bell 206, Bell 212, Bell 412, MD500, R22, A109S, EC130B4 & AW139.

I'm not too sure about other helicopters but I believe you can start them with the rotors stopped also.

ZAP ZAP

Starting up with the rotors stopped......now there is a novel idea. I've been doing that exact procedure for over 35 years and it works every time, at least on the Bell 47, Bell 206, Bell 212, Bell 412, MD500, R22, A109S, EC130B4 & AW139.

I'm not too sure about other helicopters but I believe you can start them with the rotors stopped also.

ZAP ZAP

Ok!so how do you do that with a 47!

Oh! and by the way i know that is not a new idea...!!

One explanation I got, and I could be very wrong here, is that on larger multi-bladed helicopters the mast sits on an angle and the dampers slowly let the blades creep to wherever gravity takes them, so one blade or more will be in a lead position and another one or two is in a lag position and if you start 'er up slowly you have a significant out of balance condition whereas if you hold the binders on till your stove gets up to speed the inertia of the blades at rest cause 'em all to go to a full lag position on the dampers when the mast starts to turn when you let the brake go... Once she's up to proper RPM which now only takes a few seconds, the blades find their happy place and away we go! Clear as mud? Anyway, that's what I've been told so I have no idea how true it is though it does make sense to me.