Startup With Stop Rotor

C-FXFX

Here's a great story to share.

I had just completed a 100 hour on an AS350. The pilot was happy to have the bird back as he had an urgent flight. Out on the pad I hear the starter winding up. A few seconds later, a ground crew runs up to me and says the pilot's got a problem. I grab my peltors and head out. As i pop my head into the cabin, the pilot tells me he can't advance his throttle any further. Calmly, I tell him that if he lets off the rotorbrake, his problem should be solved. With a ghostly face, he shuts her down as smoke billows from the transmission deck. The brake disc was a glowing and it didn't smell real great.

Lucky for him, it wasn't as expensive of a fix as it could have been. Unlucky for me, it was late Friday afternoon and the beers were cold.

Cheers

Westland SuperLynx has a clutch to disengage engines from rotors. Its a bit strange on a busy pad because you are looking around to see what machine is running. Reason: ship based operations!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there something about the rotor turning by 25% N1 on a 2x6 ? I remember a couple years ago, a fellow pilot started their machine (an LR) with the blade tied down. Ran it all the way up to 62% before realising there was a problem.

Engineer spent a couple days inspecting the tailboom for damage and tearing down the gearbox for inspection (as per Bell's instructions)...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there something about the rotor turning by 25% N1 on a 2x6 ? I remember a couple years ago, a fellow pilot started their machine (an LR) with the blade tied down. Ran it all the way up to 62% before realising there was a problem.

Engineer spent a couple days inspecting the tailboom for damage and tearing down the gearbox for inspection (as per Bell's instructions)...

I am new to the 2o6...but wouldnt there be abnormal TOT temps with the PT sections restricted...ie blades tied down? Or would this not even be a factor...