Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fun To Read Books On Helicopters

xrkyle

The discussion about Phil's book inspired me to start this one about less technical, 'fun reads'.

I've been working my way through Corley-Smith's books and have really enjoyed them. The first one I read was Helicopters: The British Columbia Story which gives a brief history to helicopters in BC (Canada really). It focuses mostly on the pioneers from Okanagan/CHL in the late 40s and 50s but covers a timespan up to the late 90s when the book was published. There is some really neat anecdotal stuff and the stories are quite interesting. I thought it was cool to learn that Alf Stringer, one of the co-founders of Okanagan ended up marrying Ted Henson's widow. Ted Henson was the founder of VIH. So really, when you think about it, these two successful companies both have the same man behind them. Says quite about him (I think).

It touched home with me too since Okanagan's first client, Ernie McMinn from the BC Topographic Surveys Branch who they talk about quite a bit, brought my dad from out east to come work with him.

It's a shame Corley-Smith died in 2002, I think he'd be an interesting guy to talk to.

Has anyone else read these books or have any other good books to recommend?

Im Just wrapping up Peter Corley-Smith and David Parker's "Helicopters In The High Country 40 Years of Mountain Flying" -1996

If you reference Pg. 15 of that particular book you'll see the picture I got for christmas on the bottom right hand corner. Features Carl Agar and Alf Stringer sitting in FZX.

The stories in this book are really interesting, things like how the instructor would be considdered very low time in present time.

This will be a great thread, im sure alot of good books can be reccomended for when im finished this one?

Cole

Yes, I've read that one - and very good it was too! It puts a lot of things into perspective!

Shawn Coyle's books are well worth a read, and Fatal Traps For Helicopter Pilots also, plus the usual Chickenhawk, of course, whatever people think about whether it was based on his own experiences or not (I couldn't read the sequel).

One that's not related to helicopters, but is still an excellent read is First Light by Geoffrey Wellum - it's the equivalent of Chickenhawk for Spitfire pilots and takes you through the author's training and fighting in WWII.

Phil

I found the Peter Corley Smith books very inspirational and were a part of my initial infatuation with flying. 10 000 hours is a great story by Peter. Turns out my former dentist was also his dentist in Victoria. Small world. Another interesting read is one called "Skydancing" If you can get past the egotistical writing, some good pics and story's.

Recently finished Chopper: A History of American Military Helicopter Operations from WWII to the War On Terror by Robert F. Dorr. Very educational, with first-person accounts by combat veterans who flew, and still fly, the machines. Actually an easy, fairly lighthearted and enjoyable read—considering the topic—even for a greenhorn like me! Gotta like the military stuff though. :)

Justfly: I found those autographs and photos inside the front cover terribly distracting; took me longer to read 'cause I kept lookin' back at them and grinnin' ear to ear. :D Rockstar you!

Oops. I just realized this thread is on the flight-training forum. Apologies!