Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anyone Starting At Bcit Soon?

rcketchik

All education is about jumping through hoops and the best instructors are the ones that care more about passing on their life experience than instructing to the book.

As a student you have to take everything with a grain of salt. It's a waste of time if you get all bitter about waiting for stamps or how an instructor takes to long on something.

Get whatever you can out of it and move on. I liked the majority of instructors I had and the ones I didn't like, I really didn't mind them that much.

I think the statement about all the instructors there are washed up guys that couldn't make it in the industry is very short sighted.

If I was 50 and had out in 30+ years in the industry, why not get paid 60k to yap all day to a bunch of kids while the school matches every penny I put towards a RRSP. Not to mention all the health benifits to cover my years of smoking and drinking. Low stress, home every night, regular paid holidays whenever I want. Sounds like a pretty good semi-retirment to me.

though the hoops are probably similar if not the same, just keep jumping and soon you will be an AME. at least thats what i'm hoping will happen (don't be a smarta** helimat)

You have a lot of jumpin' to do.... :bleh:

Such language deserves a fresh fuel cell treatment. Say, Monday, 7:00am, 206...

I know how much you love jet fuel! :lol:

Talk about beating a dead horse over the $$$ issue.. But hey, beat it all you want :wacko:

Thanks for all the advice, words of wisdom, ect.. i'm already planning on doing my fair share of hoop jumping, but i'll be on the look out for more now.. ohhh joy :D

Someone say jet fuel?? I'm in, hahahahah :punk:

If I was 50 and had out in 30+ years in the industry, why not get paid 60k to yap all day to a bunch of kids while the school matches every penny I put towards a RRSP. Not to mention all the health benifits to cover my years of smoking and drinking. Low stress, home every night, regular paid holidays whenever I want. Sounds like a pretty good semi-retirment to me.

Actually what you described sounds like what you'd EXPECT from a regular career-oriented job as opposed to semi-retirement. To me anyway :)

A good school and instructor will only help a person realize their potential but it by no means is the deciding factor. A student should see the school and the instructor as a tool. Most post secondary academic institutions are staffed with smart men and women that have little interest in teaching and are there to do research with equipment they can't afford on their own and run their consulting company on the side. Yes there are exceptions, those are the ones that get the teaching awards and are usually doing meaningless research :) I know BCIT isn't an academic institution that does a lot of research like a university but the same situations and principles apply. It's up to the student to harness the facilities, their instructor and their colleagues and maximize their use. If you're given ****** tools, make the best of it because like most things, you get what you give. Hand holding works up until you leave middle school, after that, it's all you!

"someone say jet fuel?? I'm in, hahahahah :punk: " rcketchik

the jet fuel is cool untill you are up to your arm pit deap in a fuel tank cleaning it out :down: . though i would still rather do that then stock shelves and ask if you want your groceris in paper or plastic :punk:

xrkyle

walk up to your DOM and blame the quality of your work on your tools. Love to be the fly on the wall at that one. Blaming the tool is a cop out. You are responsible for your work be it at school or at work. They went to the moon using slide rools, no calculators,(the Apollo comand module computer had 128K of memory) not much blaming on the tools there I imagine.

xrkyle

walk up to your DOM and blame the quality of your work on your tools. Love to be the fly on the wall at that one. Blaming the tool is a cop out. You are responsible for your work be it at school or at work. They went to the moon using slide rools, no calculators,(the Apollo comand module computer had 128K of memory) not much blaming on the tools there I imagine.

You misread or misunderstood my post, no blame is being passed onto anything.

The point I was trying to get across was that success in learning comes down to the individual. The "tools" are not significant to a learner's success or failure.