Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anyone Starting At Bcit Soon?

rcketchik

what and end teaching all us student how to use a file :shock: :lol::lol:

On the subject of colleges: I'll explain it this way.....if I got 2 resume's on the same day, one from a BCIT grad and one from a NLC grad,....the BCIT resume is the first thing on my desk that goes in the trash can. Quote from recent BCIT grad/appentice I worked with a month ago: " Of course I don't know anything about helicopters....they didn't let us touch them in school" ......so that's the scoop wannabe students interested in helicopters.

As for Aluminum turnbarrel clamps?...WTF? no surprise actually....second-rate clamps from a second-rate college...at least as far as helicopters go.

BTW, I just dug my clamps out of a long-forgotten box in the garage......gonna need them in this latest gig....

Yup, 4 weeks of filing, hacksawing and crocus cloth...they sure were shinny when we was done making them.....and they actually work as advertised. I used my lots over the years. Unfortunately, the plastercine ones won't hold up very well......

(snicker)

lol, I had to open my mouth...

Anyway, I sorta wish we could of made them out of steel, ( not that i want to do them again) plaste..i mean aluminum has its down sides and I don't think that it would of taken that much longer if we used steel. :blink:

About the heli thing.. I'll let you know when I get there but there seem to be quite a few instructors that have come from a heli background. Did buddy try to touch them??? They're right there in the open, really not that hard to walk up too :rolleyes:

I finished my steel cable clamp at NLC a couple weeks ago, after all that filing, every time I pick up aluminum it feels like butter.

Theres only a half class of people in the class for 1-07, no one has dropped or has been washed out yet. So, Im not sure why you guys would wait to get in when there are so many open seats up here in dodge.

How about your drill gauges or bucked rivet gauges? we made ours out of .050 aluminum alloy sheet metal, seems pretty lame to make 1/32 increments on something that soft. Im thinking there is lots of scrap aluminum and thats why we are using it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I finished my steel cable clamp at NLC a couple weeks ago, after all that filing, every time I pick up aluminum it feels like butter.

Theres only a half class of people in the class for 1-07, no one has dropped or has been washed out yet. So, Im not sure why you guys would wait to get in when there are so many open seats up here in dodge.

How about your drill gauges or bucked rivet gauges? we made ours out of .050 aluminum alloy sheet metal, seems pretty lame to make 1/32 increments on something that soft. Im thinking there is lots of scrap aluminum and thats why we are using it.

Thats funny, our screw gauges we made out of steel, rivet gauges were aluminum as well. There was no wait when I started. Also if an apprentice said they weren't allowed to touch a helicopter while at bcit then they had no ambition. We were allowed to take apart/inspect/assemble/learn all we wanted about them.

hay rcketchik how are things going?

i know we all kinda gave you a hard time but an update would be cool

Its going well!! I'm just about to finish level 3 (today's the last day) then we get 3 weeks off untill we start up at the new campus in september! The last level has been pretty cool, actually I really like it. Learning how to rivit, deal with sheet metal, composits ect. The instructor that we have is a heli guy and is pretty rad. So all in all, its been a good few months. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering, how is the new campus and how are the classes going? If you are posted on a helicopter forum, then you`re a helicopter guy or gal, how is BCIT at covering helicopter subjects, related theory etc, even when not directly in the helicopter courses themselves ( I mean are helicopters referred to as you are discussing other topics)?

Thx for your input

BM

>>> 3 weeks off untill we start up at the new campus in september! The last level has been pretty cool, actually I really like it. Learning how to rivit, deal with sheet metal, composits ect. The instructor that we have is a heli guy and is pretty rad. So all in all, its been a good few months. :)

replied to your pm before reading the board, so forget the question about the campus...

bm

New campus is fine, they are still doing construction but once they get everything done it should be good. The "grand opening" is tomorrow from 12-4 (Saturday the 13th) so if anyone's in the area you should check it out.

PM sent for the other info :)