Going Backwards In Flight Training

caudillwilliam

I need some constructive ideas!

Background

I am working toward a commercial license so I can fight fires.

I started my training back in July of last year – but through a series of events (helicopter being down, work, what-have-you) I had a couple of very long breaks. I missed most of November and December. I pretty much had the hours for the private (37) back in October and felt at the time that I just needed a few more hours to be ready for the checkride and oral exam.

Well, I started back again here about a month ago and it appears that I am starting over. I seem to have forgotten everything I had learned and seem to actually be going backwards – much to my frustration and not to mention that of my instructors.

Help

Does anyone have any ideas? I seem to be all over the place with the RPM and the coordination with the flight controls. I am really getting discouraged!

I need some constructive ideas!

Background

I am working toward a commercial license so I can fight fires.

I started my training back in July of last year – but through a series of events (helicopter being down, work, what-have-you) I had a couple of very long breaks. I missed most of November and December. I pretty much had the hours for the private (37) back in October and felt at the time that I just needed a few more hours to be ready for the checkride and oral exam.

Well, I started back again here about a month ago and it appears that I am starting over. I seem to have forgotten everything I had learned and seem to actually be going backwards – much to my frustration and not to mention that of my instructors.

Help

Does anyone have any ideas? I seem to be all over the place with the RPM and the coordination with the flight controls. I am really getting discouraged!

First of all CW, I would recommend you take a hard look at the school. You stated,"helicopter being down".......is it a one ship only operation? Is there more than one instructor?

Do not be hard on yourself, you can not retain any proficiency early on when training. That is why it is highly recommended you have your financial requirements met, so you can put in as much training, in as little time as possible.

It would be wise to consider, that you will have to budget for a few more hours to obtain your commercial licence.......unfortunately, there is no advice one can give over the internet to help you with your RPM and coordination setback......just time at the controls, patience, and perseverence will help you.

Good luck, H56

Ya he's right about retention early on and yes it will probably take a few extra hours. In my humble opinion it will come back, but it will take a few. Dont sweat it. What I found helped out was to go home after training and focus on what was done right not where you feel you lack. Secondly I would find a quiet spot to collect yourself and actually physically go through the start up take off and landings picturing every one in your head as perfect. Dont be afraid to use a manaul to catch little faux pas. Its more a confidence builder as well as a co-ordination exercise.

These little tricks are applied to all sports/actvities and were suggested to me by my instructor during my training when unexpected "holidays" interfere.

Just a little note for ya when I started my trainig it was about 3 wks in when a couple Jackasses decided to fly a couple jets into a couple buildings in New York. So you can imagine how I felt when they shut er down and everyone is talkin big changes within the industry sheesh. That was just the first of my unexpected's. So even if you do get all you finances in order anything can happen at any time.

Roll with the punches dont let it get ya down theres a lot more stumbling blocks once you are done.

we ALL had to successfully get over the odd "hump" in training... the time element in your personal scenario is undoubtedly lengthening these potential "humps"... the mere fact that you have sufficient confidence in yourself to commit to learning to fly a helicopter (despite the occasional setback) strongly suggests you will be successful...

bonne chance...