Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Garmin Gps

kevin

You can't get the satelite wx up here yet.

The satelite radio works if you a/c is equipped with the proper hookups.

Yes you can get mapsets for anywhere south of 60.

I think those units are toobmuch for a vfr pilots I recomend the map 96CS. it's small easy to see and it's only about 700$ cdn.

cheers

SG

I think those units are toobmuch for a vfr pilots I recomend the map 96CS. it's small easy to see and it's only about 700$ cdn.

cheers

SG

I agree, I use the 96 as well and I love it. If I were to buy again, I would get the color version. Have seen a few people out there with the 296 that seemed to really like the larger screen though.

cheers

steven

Have the 396 and like the obstacle avoidance option that you can use/not use at your pleasure (having stated so, use it for same at your peril.......obstacles listed are those REPORTED). Big colour screen is a pleasure on the eyes after a long day. Sat Radio is not available YET in Canada. The option to be able to use the unit as a sonar for fishing is also a factor for those who do so.......AND it is VERY accurate for same.

I am surrounded by those who use various models of the 96 and I consider it more than adequate. I find that the type of flying you do mostly should be the determining factor as to what one wants to use. In some cases too much is costly and never or seldom gets used. At the bucks they can sell for, it's "overkill" for no good reason then. If the type of flying that you might move into sometime in the future should make your unit inadequate, then sell her and move up to another more sophisticated GPS at that time.

For those of you using the 96 or 96c, what type of endurance are you seeing out of your batteries, and do you use rechargeables or disposable?

I use the 96 with Panosonic NI-MH rechargable batteries. I find that I get about twice the length from them as with standard non-rechargable batteries. I carry a charger and four batteries so I always have two topped up. I normally get two or three days of 8-10 flying hours out of them. I find the colder it is, the shorter they last. THe other thing is I make sure I drain them completely before recharging. Very happy with them.

Cheers,

steven