Longlining The Shack!

Okay longline guro's: Anyone have any secrets about slinging shacks? I have found that mostly they fly slow. Some fly better than others. Have tried putting on fins and heard that others use buckets. What to you guys do to help on that long move? Does a longer line help or hinder? Any intersting stories about flying them? I noticed on non-wind days, the shacks often have a much higher weight due to the increase in downwash pushing on the roof of the shack.

cheers.

steven

post-1820-1171298497_thumb.jpg

I've moved those seismic doghouses before and it worked ok with either a helibag or a cargo net trailing from it.

Anything to stop it spinning. You may need to put a good ten feet of rope between the shack and the net or spruce tree or helibag.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Failing that get a honking big ball bearing swivel so you don't birdcage the longline and lose the load. :shock:

Two items:

1) A real bushy spruce or pine tree tied onto the load with a respectable length of rope will work and (2) a fairly small, but heavy metal object (preferably a piece of scrap) that you can used in the same manner and does the trick. This metal object can also be used as a "headache bucket" to be hung from other loads, so as to keep said load away from T/R, keep load more "quiet" and possibly translate all this into a better A/S, if so needed or desired.

I have used #2 for pulling "sock-line" over the decades and I also have used it extensively in areas above the treeline where #1 is too small to be of any use or doesn't exist at all. I also don't have the patience to fly 100 miles + in the Arctic with a **** load trying to fly formation with me for most of that trip.

You know what else is a drag to sling? It's the port-a-potty. Those things go frickin nuts at about 30 knots.

You've got to add some sort of a drogue or there's a nasty mess at the end of the flight.

Trust me

Hey Cap,

Fort Smith to Tazin Lk. (N. Sask) 100+ with a dirty great polish radial for an otter under me. :angry:

Would have been ok except they had it on a pallett. (50MPH and seasick)

MC

Come to think of it one of the worst things that I have slung so far in my life was sheets of Tin roofing. They were pre-cut lengths ( 22' long and 3' wide ) and I was doing it with a Jetbox. Added 2x4's under and on top for rigidity, but I have never been tossed around so much. I would get about 25 knots and the thing would start dragging me :down: around all over the place :shock: . Good thing I only had to go a couple of miles. :lol:

a119

I try to always keep some "Basics" in mind to make life easier for me. As an example, if it's any kind of "flat", it will want to "fly" like a wing. Therefore, the first thing I have to do is "stall that wing out" and I sure as **** know how to do that much. Next, to stabilize it even more I bring out my trusty, small,,ex-military surplus parachute that I personally bought many years ago after I wizened-up. So all of a sudden loads like plywood aren't the s.o.b. that they used to be and I can at least drink my **** coffee without "wearing-it" first. It's called "Ve get too soon oldt and too late smarth" :lol:.

You know what else is a drag to sling? It's the port-a-potty. Those things go frickin nuts at about 30 knots.

You've got to add some sort of a drogue or there's a nasty mess at the end of the flight.

Trust me

Haha...nice 4961! But really did you have to touch it once it was on the truck??? Sounds like someone elses problem! hehe

How is it going buddy... Conditions good at the hill?

P