Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Night Flying?

Ya ...the CARS

I finely fond it. But I come up with 20MINS fuel, only (?)

Fuel Requirements

602.88 (1) This section does not apply in respect of any glider, balloon or ultra-light aeroplane.

(2) No pilot-in-command of an aircraft shall commence a flight or, during flight, change the destination aerodrome set out in the flight plan or flight itinerary, unless the aircraft carries sufficient fuel to ensure compliance with subsections (3) to (5).

(3) An aircraft operated in VFR flight shall carry an amount of fuel that is sufficient to allow the aircraft

(a) in the case of an aircraft other than a helicopter,

(i) when operated during the day, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 30 minutes at normal cruising speed, or

(ii) when operated at night, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 45 minutes at normal cruising speed; or

B) in the case of a helicopter, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 20 minutes at normal cruising speed.

(4) An aircraft operated in IFR flight shall carry an amount of fuel that is sufficient to allow the aircraft

(a) in the case of a propeller-driven aeroplane,

(i) where an alternate aerodrome is specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome, to fly to and land at the alternate aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 45 minutes, or

(ii) where an alternate aerodrome is not specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 45 minutes; or

(B) in the case of a turbo-jet-powered aeroplane or a helicopter,

(i) where an alternate aerodrome is specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome, to fly to and land at the alternate aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 30 minutes, or

(ii) where an alternate aerodrome is not specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 30 minutes.

(5) Every aircraft shall carry an amount of fuel that is sufficient to provide for

(a) taxiing and foreseeable delays prior to take-off;

(B) meteorological conditions;

c) foreseeable air traffic routings and traffic delays;

(d) landing at a suitable aerodrome in the event of loss of cabin pressurization or, in the case of a multi-engined aircraft, failure of any engine, at the most critical point during the flight; and

(e) any other foreseeable conditions that could delay the landing of the aircraft.

It depends on if you are a 722 - Aerial Work OC holder or a 723 - Air Taxi OC holder. Air Taxi operations (723) have to carry 30 min reserve for night ops. This regulation has been in effect for at least the last 10 years (and I imagine more?). If you are carrying passengers at night or IFR, you need to be a 723 or 724 (commuter ops) OC holder. Different requirements including twin engined A/C, Instrument ratings, ATPL(H) licences, etc... Full details here:

TC CARS Part VII

Cheers!

It depends on if you are a 722 - Aerial Work OC holder or a 723 - Air Taxi OC holder. Air Taxi operations (723) have to carry 30 min reserve for night ops. This regulation has been in effect for at least the last 10 years (and I imagine more?). If you are carrying passengers at night or IFR, you need to be a 723 or 724 (commuter ops) OC holder. Different requirements including twin engined A/C, Instrument ratings, ATPL(H) licences, etc... Full details here:

TC CARS Part VII

Cheers!

Your right for 724 ops you are required to carry 30 mins of reserve for night and IFR unless things have changed since my transport PPC last month.

You guys are right. I was recently mislead by someone and quickly attempted to confirm it by referencing the AIM. Unfortunately the AIM only refers to the general operating and flight rules.

General Operating and Flight Rules

( B ) in the case of a helicopter, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 20 minutes at normal cruising speed.

Air Taxi Operations

( B ) in the case of a helicopter operated in night VFR flight, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for 30 minutes at normal cruising speed.

Commuter Operations

( B ) in the case of a helicopter operated in night VFR flight, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for 30 minutes at normal cruising speed.

Don't forget that you have to be licensed for night, the helicopter has to be legal for night, have all of the required equipment on board and be insured during night flight. Carrying anyone other than a fellow employee is asking for a lawsuit if any problems arise. But, what the **** is the rush! The days aren't long enough??? Is it worth the risk to so seriously complicate any emergency proceedure by adding night to the equation? #### happens!!! I have a night endorsement and have held an IFR ticket but still don't like flying single engine after dark. On a really dark night, away from civilisation, where there are no houses or lights is not VFR Night.