Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot Engineers

I am only on lights, I was offered $20 an hour straight pay,no guarantee of flight pay,which was $10-15 hr,You must move to location, by a company in Ontario last spring, I asked with that scale, it was no wonder your guys are at with Canadian western now.He seemed upset others knew of their problems. A friend is a union labourer and gets almost $26-27 an hour. and grosses more than I ever did in a year.

Flying in the early 90's yeilded $75.a day,and 20 an hour.wrenching only was $150 and $10. an hr.

When anyone comments,you guys must make big bucks, I tell them to drive by the hangers at the airport,and have a look at the cars you see....See anyone driving land rovers ...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to hear unabashed opinions. I have the 2-year AME diploma plus about 4 yrs apprenticing but with the TC system of 8 (9?) tests at $50.00 a pop (+$100 for permission to write), and little or no money on the other side, I think I'm leaning towards toughing it out solely as a pilot!

Any employer types have something to say about the attractiveness (for hiring purposes, you randy bugger) of pilot/engineers?

Donny, there is definitely still a use for P/Es in the modern world. Companies that work on exploration jobs in the far North still employ them. Try searching for those companies.

These jobs suit a P/E because they don't fly alot per day, and may be out in the wilderness for a long time.

Unfortunately, these exploration jobs are not as common as they used to be. Many jobs now "blitz" an area very hard in a short period, and may use two pilots double-shifted, plus an engineer.

Also, changes to Air Regs have limited how long a pilot can be out in the bush on these old-style camps. Also many modern Maintenance Programs require an Independent Check from another person after certain inspections and repairs.

If you can find work as a pilot, take it; if that is what you want.

An AME licence is a great thing to have in your back pocket if you are close to getting it. It will help you get a start on the flying side, even if you don't use it much after that. The knowledge and respect you will gain from finishing your AME licence (even if not kept current) will always be useful as a pilot.

A: the minister may make exemptions...

B: Your MCM can include that you train anyone to do the icc, train sign a training sheet and off you go.

C: you can get your inspection sheets made to suit your operation.

I remember NMH had the retorque on the short ranger /long ranger eliminated by flapping the baldes, retorque, and flap them again, and off you go.

Hi Elvis, I hope Frenchwrench's explanation helped clarify ways that P/Es can still work on various jobs.

Here is a quote from my original post about why there are fewer P/E jobs now than in earlier times........."many modern Maintenance Programs require an Independent Check from another person after certain inspections and repairs."

I should emphasise the part about "certain inspections", because most regular scheduled inspections DO NOT require a dual inspection, so there is still a place for a P/E, depending on the amount of flying to be done, and the type of maintenance inspections that are coming due.

My point was that due to modern regulations, there are less opportunities for P/Es than in the past, but jobs are still available.

####, wouldn't you agree there are SOME regular inspections, on SOME types, listed in SOME company maintenance manuals that can still be performed legally without an independent check?

Thanks for your comments (as always), in fact they reinforce my original point to Donnybrook.......that is.......because of modern regulations (concerning independent checks) there is LESS work now that suits P/Es, but it still does exist.

The P/E 'role' goes deeper than mentioned. There are still companies out there that need a pilot for the summer months and ALSO need a good engineer for the winter months for the hangar. Certain CP's and DOM's still have a 'hang-up' concerning P/E's doing both jobs, even though they are separated by seasons. To those that don't think like that, having a P/E on staff 'kills two birds with one stone'.

Last, but definitely not least, is the fact that if one day the 'aviating license' is lost to a medical, there is something to fall back on that keeps a person in the business. This 'loss of license' is not restricted to those with greying hair either. No longer is that the exclusive domain of the 40+ crowd. Anyone here can walk into their next medical a pilot and walk out 1 hour later wondering just what in the **** he does now.

Donnybrook, I'm in too much of a hurry to read all the posts, so apologize if I repeat other responses. My perspective about the P/E question is that it depends primarily on the individual whether they can be effective in both roles. I've known some dandies and some duds, including a few pilots who took on the added role.

As usual, Cap makes good points, especially about the 'hidden' advantages of the dual role, especially given the flight duty time restrictions on pilots already in place, and the line duty time AMEs to be instituted ere long (or so I hear) - they should largely rule out the older version of P/E indenture. I don't think you'll find many scrupulous operators employing a P/E flying full time and doing his own wrenching any more, anyway, and let's all give thanks for that.

My own recommendation would be that you get your AME licence first. If you're any good, you'll always have a job. Then, if you still have to, take on flying, and with a far better knowledge base of your equipment and its operation than the majority of pilots. Whatever you choose, the best of luck! B)