Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alberta....hello

Its that time of the year again when a lot of operators are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

The Government of Alberta has just issued contracts for the upcoming fire season.

The contracts run from April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2010.

On or about April 1, 2007, the Government of Alberta will tell all the operators that sign the contract what they will pay you for your helicopter.

What really irks me is that someone is going to tell me what they are going to pay for my services.

If the Industry was to get together and tell the Government of Alberta what our aircraft will cost them, they would start complaining about "price fixing", but for them to do it, that's OK. What a double standard.

Our company will be sending the unsigned contract back to the government of Alberta with a polite note saying that if they require our services, please contact us and we will advise you of our tariff.

STOP LETTING THE GOVERNMENT DICTATE WHAT YOUR AIRCRAFT AND SERVICES ARE WORTH!

Oh and by the way...If you are a fixed wing operator working for the Government of Alberta, you can tell them what your tariff rate is....What a load of crap.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMMMMM, let me think how many helicopters are sitting right now waiting for that first phone call in May or June? Probably alot! As much as I agree with you, that's not very likely of many operators to do. Getting black listed by the government means the last one hired and the first one released. If your machines sit all summer waiting for higher rate then I just might get myself a couple extra 4hrs days working for the compeditor.

Cheers

Your dreaming!

If this industry could actually agree on a fixed rate and the government went for it there would be one guy that would get in there and undercut the rest of us and get the contract. THATS WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW EVERY DAY. It's why we don't get paid what we should, it's why some a/c look like crap, it's why operators can't afford the insurance to get the lowtime drivers on line that we sorely needed, it's why there is a shortage of qualified engineers that don't want to work long hour for bad pay which are VERY SORELY NEEDED.

I know there are operators that will not run their machines for less than what they are worth. There are also operators that think they are losing money if a ship is sitting and so they send it out at a rediculously low rate and everone thinks, "Wow that guy is always working, he must make money hand over fist."

We will see things change but I really don't thing it will happen over night. I only take comfort in the fact that I work for a company that would rather have the a/c in the hangar being fixed of gathering dust than running it at a sub-standard rate wearing out parts that are worth more than the rate the ship is working for.

Cheers

SG

If this industry could actually agree on a fixed rate and the government went for it there would be one guy that would get in there and undercut the rest of us and get the contract. THATS WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW EVERY DAY. It's why we don't get paid what we should, it's why some a/c look like crap, it's why operators can't afford the insurance to get the lowtime drivers on line that we sorely needed, it's why there is a shortage of qualified engineers that don't want to work long hour for bad pay which are VERY SORELY NEEDED.

I know there are operators that will not run their machines for less than what they are worth. There are also operators that think they are losing money if a ship is sitting and so they send it out at a rediculously low rate and everone thinks, "Wow that guy is always working, he must make money hand over fist."

We will see things change but I really don't thing it will happen over night. I only take comfort in the fact that I work for a company that would rather have the a/c in the hangar being fixed of gathering dust than running it at a sub-standard rate wearing out parts that are worth more than the rate the ship is working for.

Cheers

SG

Isn't this sorta, kinda, maybe, a bit, bordering on what we were trying to get sorted out here:

http://www.verticalmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6759

And a few other topics lately?

Have a fun one,

R...

Wow someones a little testy on here!(2007)

As stated, I agree with you about setting a fixed rates. I've been hearing talk about it for years and its never happened. How about fixed rates other then forestry or working fires in different provinces. Ontario is the worst, whats with the average crap that operators have been putting up with for years?

One reason is there will always be a new company with a single machine who needs to pay the lease on his/her jet box or Astar and keep the bank happy. Do you think the person who owns the machine cares if it's making him money? Thats never going to change givin how many leasing companies there are out there these days.

Good luck sitting on spec

As mentioned, we are not going to sign a contract with the Alberta Government. Prefer to work here in BC anyways. I would still anticipate numerous phone calls from the Edmonton Fire Centre, but we will charge them our tariff rates, not the ones they want to impose - if they don't like it, they can continue burning.

Change has got to start somewhere. If other operators do the same, it's one small easy step.

We already don't even consider Manitoba or Ontario because of their averaging policy.

There was a big shortage of aircraft all across Canada for last years fire season. We (like many others) had to say no to Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan because we were busy here at home.

This may happen again, and it may not.

DON'T LET THE GOVERNMENT DICTATE WHAT THEY WILL PAY YOU FOR YOUR AICRAFT AND SERVICES!!!

We own and operate only new model (Part 27) helicopters. Giving them away doesn't help us, the bank, or the customer in the long run.

Not getting testy there Khead, just trying to help young guys like you out.

Wow someones a little testy on here!(2007)

As stated, I agree with you about setting a fixed rates. I've been hearing talk about it for years and its never happened. How about fixed rates other then forestry or working fires in different provinces. Ontario is the worst, whats with the average crap that operators have been putting up with for years?

One reason is there will always be a new company with a single machine who needs to pay the lease on his/her jet box or Astar and keep the bank happy. Do you think the person who owns the machine cares if it's making him money? Thats never going to change givin how many leasing companies there are out there these days.

Good luck sitting on spec

Couldn't agree with you more. Been there and seen it first hand. :down: