Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alberta....hello

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chopperman

BC has a similar rotation system to Alberta. If you do a trip for them this week, we would do the next trip, and another operator the next week. In BC, if you are charging $100 less an hour than you competitor, that does not change the rotation - you would just loose out on $100/hr.

If you are charging $200 less per hour, then you would loose out on $200.

If you charge $300 less per hour they would probably question if something is wrong with your company and not fly with you.

Most operator's have newer or new machines, you are not alone with your purchase. We have a mix ourselves, and there is a need for both. As all operator's know we must get use to what clients want to pay vs what we what to charge. Then, if the client see's what they like, you can renegotiate more for your 'superior' product!! Unless you have a market niche, or the entire market cornered, there will always be competition for the work!

PS Chopperman (out of topic) I only want to know how many 1000's of resumes you have recieved since your R44 ad?? Anyone sent any gifts or such yet?

I know it will open a flurey of resumes but to be honest this is the first time I have had to go looking. I don't know what it is but there have been few calls and even fewwer visits. All the talk on this forum of shortages and big wages must have them holding out. Ha!

The way I look at it, the more to choose from the better the pick'n.

2007: I can't agree more with you on your statement that client should not be telling you what to charge for a machine.

With de-regulation it happens to be a two way street and due to the attitude of the operators they are the ones responsible.

The first ATAC meeting I went to in the sixties, the operators were undercutting one another then. Times have not changed and it will not until operators get there respective shyte together and increase the rates. If you think I'm talking through the roof ask some of the other old timers.

See you in two weeks, Cheers, Don

Reality Check here guys......If you don't like the rates............don't fly for them!!!! ASRD rates have been fair and over the past have paid out 4 per day, not averaged, and not a 3/4/5 daily hire, any other provinces or agencies out there can say that? BC is no better or no worse, you as an operator can choose the pasture you want to feed your cows in, if you don't like the food in another pasture, don't go there!

BCFS is so famous to 'phone around' and see what is available. I love it when they do this on the friday of a long weekend....We usually say, "Alberta has picked us up since Tuesday, Sorry !!! But let us know when you WANT to hire, vs phoning to see AVAILABILITY!"

No kidding on the phoning around, I've had them check in with me every couple of hours and even ask if it was alright to leave an IA kit at the hanger "you know just in case" without putting me on min's. Wouldn't you know it when they finally got a fire late in the evening and called me up to let me know the crew was on the way over...still no contract, I had the pleasure of telling the caller that Ontario had just picked me up so sorry. Ferry paid both ways & through some oversite I left with a pile of unused min's too.

I believe that there is a slight difference between grain farmers and helicopter companies, but that is another topic.

I don't know of too many helicopter operators that would let a mill dictate what they are going to pay a helicopter companies per cubic meter of wood that they pull off a hill. Most would give the company a rate and if the company doesn't like it they will look elsewhere.

Don't get hung up on the business because yes, they are very different. It's the economics that are the same. It's called an oligopsony.