Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Forces Pilots

Bif

Hi all,

So I'm not sure if maybe this has been discussed in depth already, but the search function is not working for me...

I'm considering the Armed Forces as a potential career path. I'd be gunning for a position flying Cormorants out of COmox or something similar. I'd basically be an ideal candidate for them: 23 years old, university graduate, yadda yadda...

But I'd very much like to get some insight from current or ex CF pilots. The pay, benefits, training, work schedules, and the job itself all appeal to me. The things I'm unsure of are the amount of flight hours one can actually expect, the commitement time required, and the prospects of reaching the position I want.

If any one can offer me some guidance/insight/anecdotes/hearsay/ridiculous comments, it would be much appreciated! I'd like to get as much info as possible prior to speaking with a recruiter.

Thanks so much!

Hi all,

So I'm not sure if maybe this has been discussed in depth already, but the search function is not working for me...

I'm considering the Armed Forces as a potential career path. I'd be gunning for a position flying Cormorants out of COmox or something similar. I'd basically be an ideal candidate for them: 23 years old, university graduate, yadda yadda...

But I'd very much like to get some insight from current or ex CF pilots. The pay, benefits, training, work schedules, and the job itself all appeal to me. The things I'm unsure of are the amount of flight hours one can actually expect, the commitement time required, and the prospects of reaching the position I want.

If any one can offer me some guidance/insight/anecdotes/hearsay/ridiculous comments, it would be much appreciated! I'd like to get as much info as possible prior to speaking with a recruiter.

Thanks so much!

I don't have any personal experience but have researched the avenue thoroughly.

There is a lot of good information on this topic over on AvCanada. Most of the discussion there is fixed wing but there is a lot of applicable information for rotary. There are several CF pilots there that have a wealth of inside knowledge. The general consensus is that if you don't mind being an officer first, and a pilot second, then it may be a viable route. If you want to fly a lot, then civil aviation is the way to go. What I found out was many pilots only fly a couple hundred hours a year (although it can be higher for helicopter pilots) and you work on an annual rotational schedule. So you might fly one year, and drive a desk the next year. Since you have a university degree you'd go the direct entry officer route and there would be no time commitment. The amount of time it will take to get flying varies on how many people there are ahead of you in Moose Jaw and other factors like your proficiency in both official languages.

Also, the military should appeal to you - some people don't handle the structure and politics well. I had a friend that was in cadets, went to RMC right out of high school and a year after he graduated and was on the job he quit because he couldn't stand all BS. If you're on the island, you might just want to call up the bases at Comox or Pat Bay and see if you can have a chat with one of the pilots. They'll be the best source and I believe some of the Comox pilots are even on this forum.

Oh and PS, don't bother with the recruiters, they know little about anything when it comes to being a pilot in the CF and will just want to sign you up, especially if your degree is in an area that they are actively recruiting for (like engineering or pharmacology). When you got your ducks in a row and have made a decision to become a pilot in the CF, then go down and visit the recruiter and tell them you want in.

Cheers xrkyle, that's some very interesting info :)

Are you sure about the no time commitment thing?

I have my BSc. in geology (probably not terribly appealing to the military). I took 10 years of french immersion, so no problem there. I also spent a brief time in cadets, until it conflicted with my rugby season... all I remember is that the boots have permanently buggered my feet... they were much to narrow :(

I'll definitely take a peek on AvCanada and see what I can learn :)

Actually, regardless of entry plan you'll be placed on a seven year restricted-release once you're awarded your wings. See ADM (HR-MIL) Instruction 0505 paragraph 18 for the official word.

18. Restricted Release Date/Period (RRD/P) for Aircrew Training: Members who complete aircrew training to wings standard are subject to a restricted release period from the date of completion of training. Restricted release periods are as follows: MOSID 00019 AES OP, two years; MOSID 00021 FLT ENGR, two years; MOSID 00182 ANAV, four years; and MOSID 00183, seven years. Requests for a voluntary release or occupational transfers will not normally be approved unless compassionate circumstances or compelling reasons exist. In the event that the appropriate restricted release period cannot be completed within members’ current TOS, the applicable Career Manager shall advise DMCARM so that further TOS are offered to members.

Yeah, no problem on the medical requirements. I already have my CPHL.

I have the pay and benefits details from the CF website.

I think my biggest concern would be the amount of hours one gets.

One of the "testimonials" on their site has a female Griffon pilot. Then at the bottom it said "Years in Service: 12, Flight hours: 1300". Good lord, that's horrible!!

That's also true!! You don't become an Air Force pilot to get a bunch of hours. Then again, your not paid per flight hour. Multi-engine wing guys log around 400 hours a year (if their lucky), helicopters, and cf-18 guys normally around the 200 hours per year (if there lucky).

That's also true!! You don't become an Air Force pilot to get a bunch of hours. Then again, your not paid per flight hour. Multi-engine wing guys log around 400 hours a year (if their lucky), helicopters, and cf-18 guys normally around the 200 hours per year (if there lucky).

Yowsas! volition, did you go the CF route? What was your experience like? Is the yearly rotation between flying and the desk also true?

Cheers

You won't change jobs yearly; a tour will typically be in the neighbourhood of three to five years, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Sometimes you'll be posted from one flying job to another without a ground job in between. Some rare folks have gone their whole careers avoiding ground tours (but don't count on that!).