Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flying In The Arctic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where your going but don't skimp on your sleeping bag.

I had a Woods 3 Star and it was great. I think they also make a 5 Star.

Those bags are 20 -25 lbs and come in a duffle bag.

Great to have if your staying in a few nylon hotels.

I spent a summer in and around Cambridge Bay and the temperatures where a little above

freezing most of the time. One of my favorite summers!

Have fun and Good Luck!!

Sadly I think Woods went out of business. My 5 star was ruined in a flood some years ago and I couldnt get a replacement. On the upside there are some very good quality bags that are much lighter. A top quality bag is a must for sure.

NEVER EVER NEVER Lend any part of your sleeping bag to someone who "forgot" theirs. You are sure to walk by in the morning and find his unmetionables where your chin SHOULD rest, and probably not the most desireable camp creature snuggled up beside him. They might look cozy in your sleeping bag, but you will never again be able to use said sleeping bag as that vision will haunt you every time you see the bag. See: HELIDRIVER2 For additional info.

Interesting read.

The question to the whole thing is: WHY??? :shock: :shock:

Just kidding.

I guess it is an experience, (I only spent 2-1/2 summer months in the Tree river area) and summer was good, why would you want to go in winter? :lol: And where do you carry everything,(unless you're flying something big B) ) cause you need a lot of stuff if things go bad.

But that being said, and only because I don't enjoy winters much anymore, plan well and be careful, and it will provide you with lots of memories.

It's a country like none other...

Be very careful of the white, It'll jump out at you faster than you expect - I spent 12 hours weathered into a longranger once. there are not many weather reporting points - so make sure you're not gonna run into too much before you set off on a trip that you can't turn around from. Make sure of your fuel caches - one that was there 2 years ago may have empty drums and twin otter tracks, and it sucks sitting at -40 waiting for gas... Hey fenestron, do I know you ... My name IS Rob...

Be careful of the white, even what looks like a nice day can be deceiving. Here is a pic of one of the more common gshl fuel caches. Only had to dig for 20 mins to get to the drums. THe other pic was taken on the crossing to baker on a perfectly clear sky day. The lack of a clear horizon on a clear sky day gives you a good idea what it would look like with cloud cover or even snowing conditions.

cheers

fly safe

post-1820-1172381045_thumb.jpg

post-1820-1172381120_thumb.jpg