Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Lack Of Jet B

There may not be any Jet B in BC, but we still get delivery out of Edmonton.

Well, we were last fall, I haven't checked this week.

Only Petro-Can makes Jet B now. However, their refinery had some issues about a month ago. They were trying to start producing again on the 20th but had more issues... However, they finally made some last weekend... so the sweating has finished... although a lot of guys still tell me that you can burn Jet A no problem at much colder temperatures than the RFM allows... but I'm a follow the limitations of the manual guy...

HV

Hopefully there will be some drums of B kicking around by the time any drip torches are required.

Athough I understand Firetrol is trying to make a petro gel that works with A. Otherwise A is OK I just carry some extra A/C soap. As for operating in colder temps, why? I'll be back when it warms up.

Sharky ------ many a/c will allow you to burn Arctic Diesel for X amount of hours between O/H's. The primary issue with Arctic Diesel is the amount of oil in it that makes the engines start/run hotter and leaves a sandy-colored "coking" on the stators primarily and other internal components.......all because it burns hotter as stated. It's not something that you make 100% of your fuel load, but there is a percentage mix to be used with your regular fuel and that percentage is found again in the M & O Manual of most a/c I've flown. It's not something that you can be cavalier about and your engineer/maintenance is advised of same ASAP. They, in turn, must enter the hours into the Engine Log in which Arctic Diesel was part of the fuel burn. In otherwards, you do it by the numbers or expect to have an operation to have a foot removed from your butt. It's like sex or going to the "can" Sharky..........when you gotta have it, ya gotta have it and get the **** outta my way. :lol: :lol:

I heard guys way up north using arctic diesel, legally. Is it an stc or an ops spec? What would the requirements be?

I know the Hughes 500 has the allowance in it's manual to run on winter diesel. That might be how you heard of people running legally on it.

And to the rest of you... There is only one of me, they did quit making me a while ago and I'm not for sale anymore. Well maybe for the right price.