Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Training Bonds

Ace

Thanks all for the insightful information. I feel as though the company that hires the individual should expect some loyalty but should also provide training at their own expense.

The situation that I find myself in has me paying for 100% of the training, less for time already served - sounds like a jail term!

If there are any employers reading this, I think you should be thinking of the employees financial situation as well as your own. If the employee cannot write this training off, as you can, give her/him a break and recognise that things change and people move on. I believe that this ethos would help RETAIN people and not send them elsewhere. There must be a better way to protect your interests. As Cap suggests, going to a lawyer just makes a bad situation worse and I'm not interested in that.

My rant for the day!

i have found this topic most interesting as an apprentice that will be taking type coures if the not to distant future. the company that i am working for has in the past had engineers sign a contract that they will not leave for X amount of years after the company foots the bill for a coures. this does not sound out of line to me, the company has just invested money and time in you and would like a return on that investment. you are able to leave at any time but will have to pay back a prorated amount based on the time worked and time lift on the contract.

now if i foot the bill for my training then i'm not tied to any company and i am able to claim the cost of the course on my taxes under educational costs.

there are benifits to both and when it comes time for me to go on type course then i will see what will work best for me at that time.

I would perfer a bounes at the end of say a 2yr of 4yr or an agreed work term. If i had a 10,000 cheque coming in 7 more months. I would be sure be weighing my options about quiting. Does an employer really want unhappy employees. Every industry has training cost's. Compared to other professional industries the time and training cost seem low. Especially on the time part. Couple weeks comparred to years for other prosfessional.

my 2 cents

• 1 month later...

The bond I saw was worded this way.

I agree to buy this endorsement. The company agrees to let me owe the money and will forgive one 24th of the amount every month for the next two years. That seemed to get around the legalities. In the end I quit because they changed the work conditions. Went from 6 and 6 to 8 and 4.

So they came after me for the amount (accounting screwed up and paid me in full for my last check.) The ops manager phoned me three times for the money and every time i told him the check was in the mail. I think he must have finally had the light bulb light up. You'll never work here again says he. I'm working there now and he's not. Nuff said.

The subject came up again a few years ago. I told the guy I was talking to I would take the endorsement if they Guarenteed me three years of employment with a 6 % raise per year. Oddly enough he never meantioned training bonds again.

The bond I saw was worded this way.

I agree to buy this endorsement. The company agrees to let me owe the money and will forgive one 24th of the amount every month for the next two years. That seemed to get around the legalities.

Deuce,

I am very surprised that the company that you were working for worded the 'bond' as a sale of endorsement. The company that I was working for had a huge problem with this with Transport Canada and I believe that it became unlawful to 'sell endorsements'.

It seems a good idea to get around the 'red tape' but i'm not sure of the legalities of tat approach. What are employers to do?

I certainly like the idea that WTF had with bonuses to keep individuals as apposed to making them pay for leaving early. Sounds like more money being paid for loyalty that way. Problem is of course, the new hire will be paying for that loyalty in the form of initial lower wages.......

Thanks for everyone's comments - I think I will bite the bullet and pay up - I don't wish the doorknob to be permanently locked hey Cap!