Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Longline Switches

There has been some controversy of late, as to the location of longline and belly hook locations on the Bell Mediums. We are currently trying to standardize our fleet, and would like to know if there is a preferred location of these switches or buttons by the pilots. After all, we are the ones that have to put up with the modifications that some companies make. How about some pros and cons on the different setups that you have worked with and lets use this forum to voice our opinons and get the operators to standarize these locations and make our jobs safer.

My two cents worth.......

The top red button is force-trim release,

the middle button is the siren (if fitted),

the bottom button is the electrical belly-hook release (with an Arm/Disarm switch on the dashboard).

The remote/long-line release is a switch mounted on the collective.

I personally love to operate aircraft that have the belly release on one stick,

and the water/remote/long-line release on the other !!

if you have to put up with some company's installations then that means you probably have a very definate idea where they should be, spill the beans.

Personally Have flown them in all kinds of locations and try to keep in mind where they are and disarm the belly hook if longlining, but is a personal preference and not a policy. Really, don't mind where the electrics are but don't like the idea of kicking the load off a medium. Should be a bike handle release as was I believe recommended after a crash a few years ago.

sc

if you have to put up with some company's installations then that means you probably have a very definate idea where they should be, spill the beans.

Personally Have flown them in all kinds of locations and try to keep in mind where they are and disarm the belly hook if longlining, but is a personal preference and not a policy. Really, don't mind where the electrics are but don't like the idea of kicking the load off a medium. Should be a bike handle release as was I believe recommended after a crash a few years ago.

sc

If you are going to put the LL hook release on the collective put it on the left side of the collective so your hand will never go near it unless that is your aim. On the right side your hand will go by it every time you return it to the collective.

Okay Skullcap ya got me.

I didn't want my ideas to influence any responses.

I also have flown many aircraft with the switches in different locations.

The TSB commented on an accident a few years ago that there is not a standard for switches on the mediums. This is not the case on the belly hook location. The flight manual states that the bell hook release on the Bell 206,204,205,&212 is as per the Flight Manual Supplement. On the 205 and 212 this is the lower front switch on the cyclic. So according to this, we are not allowed to change that switch

location. So the only question that remains is where do most people prefer the longline switch?

My personal preference is to have the longline switch on the collective. At least this keeps the two hands apart.

Chopperman: The best switch I've seen so far is the same button that is used to drain the sumps on the Bells. Nothing sticking up that you can accidently bump and it takes a positive push with the rubber cover over it. I like it on the right side of the collective as you thumb is naturally wrapped around the collective on this side and don't have to go very far to get to it.

There you have it.

My 2 cents worth

Torque Split;

Sounds good to me. In Astar I like the "roll over switch to be the release for longline and the side switch to be belly. But on newer Astars there is a number of switches on collective which can be utilized for standardization, so makes sense to have continuity on machines for sure.

sc

• 2 weeks later...

for the Bell military cyclic grip,I liked the belly hook on the highest button on the side,the remote hook on lowest button.I dont have to worry about remote hooks anymore nogat any in this country,their is always some one to receive an unhook every load

for the Bell military cyclic grip,I liked the belly hook on the highest button on the side,the remote hook on lowest button.

The standard button for the belly hook on all Bell mediums is the lower button and should always be the same button for all aircraft. I know of a crash that a contributing factor may have been the belly hook was the side button and the pilot had many years flying bell mediums with the standard button. He was killed in a crash because he did not jettison his line and it snagged a tree and went in nose first. I don't believe he was the kind of person who would forget to jettison so I think in an emegency situation he used the standard belly hook button - which on this aircraft did not release the belly hook. I may be wrong but I will never fly operationally an aircraft with such non standard controls.

I also believe the longline release should be on the collective. Left hand is controlled by the right brain and the right hand by the left brain. There is not much chance of accidently jettisoning a load when you meant to transmit on the radio when the controls are thus configured.