Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aircraft Mechanics Diploma - Any Good?

Swissmatt

If you want to be an AME, then go to a recognized college.

If you just want the to take the course to better your chances of employment as a Pilot, I think you could spend that $700.00 better elsewhere.

So, I guess my answer would be a resounding NO!

Just the humble opinion of an old Pilot/Engineer

cheers,

RTR

If you spend the $700 you will recieve 1000 hours credit to your AME license. You wont get your license unless you meet the requirments set out in CAR566 appendix A. As a source of information it could be benificial to a pilot but why not just buy the books and read them? You would get pretty much the same information as if you took the course by correspondence. The books cost about $350.

Swissmatt, all I mean is that if you want to be an engineer I would recommend finding a school you can attend. If that isn't an option the correspondence course is another way to go. However, Like 212wrench pointed out it still leaves you a long way from an M licence.

If you have a spare $700 kicking around, chances are you have a bit more than that. So, why not look at an additional endorsement? Around here where I am, an R44 endorsement is pretty handy.

I'm not trying to steer you away from learning more about the engineering side, just think that if you aren't planning on becoming an Engineer the $$ are better spent elsewhere.

You'll have plenty of time later to get abused by the engineering staff, trust me.... ;)

cheers,

RTR