Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Turbine Conversion Astar Or 206 What To Do?

Downwind Harry

I hear what you are saying Gambler and I have found a few of those "good deals" and they were trying to sell me on the ASTAR saying most Canadian operators are going with Eurocopter products. Having said all that even if it were true I have been around enough to know operators don't look at a 100 hr guy w an endorsement and say well "by all means take my million dollar machine and go for it because you have the paper. I was flirting with the idea of going to a company and offering to pay for my turbine endorsement and if they like the way I fly then consider me for hire and if I don't fit the bill atleast I have the endorsement and they are not out anything so in the end it is a win win for both of us wouldn't it?

You've got the idea, now just do your homework and find the best company who might be looking and for a new guy and you might as well have a flying and personal interview while you get your endorsement!

Good Luck

Gambler

Having this endorsement will set you apart but I dont feel it will give you any advantage unless there is a company that uses theses machines. I'd have to agree with Gambler and rob, by focusing on companies that have a tendency to hire low-time pilots and familliarize yourself with these types. You might only have to pay for R-44 time in the end. But realistically a 206 endorsement would be time and money better spent if you decide this is the way to go. And $300 us plus living and travel would probably work out the same as getting an endorsement with exposure in your own country ( if you live in Canada).

Good luck.

Having this endorsement will set you apart but I dont feel it will give you any advantage unless there is a company that uses theses machines. I'd have to agree with Gambler and rob, by focusing on companies that have a tendency to hire low-time pilots and familliarize yourself with these types. You might only have to pay for R-44 time in the end. But realistically a 206 endorsement would be time and money better spent if you decide this is the way to go. And $300 us plus living and travel would probably work out the same as getting an endorsement with exposure in your own country ( if you live in Canada).

Good luck.

Just as I suspected I have tapped into a wealth of industry experience with this site. I truly appreciate all of the feedback from you guys and I think I have found 2 operators that are 100 hr friendly. They have alot of tour operations in the summer and it seems like a decent way to get my feet wet within the industry. So I have one last section of this that requires some experienced input. I have been told 5 hrs is the minimum from the training school I attended for an endorsement and as little as 2 hrs from different operators with respect to the Jet Ranger that is. I was personaly thinking of going for 10 hrs to atleast open the door on some bucketing and a little taste of longlining along with the emergencies and the like. The operators I checked out are using 206's so I have decided on type at least but how many hrs should I go for and what should I push to learn in those hrs.

Like I said I am looking to draw from your exp guys let me know what you think!

• 1 month later...

From where I sit...R44 is your best Bang for your buck. with its cheaper endorsement cost and wide range of use, your better off going this route. the majority of companies who hire low time pilots, usually have at least one machine (R44) and the endorsement will get you that much closer to their seat. To think of an A-star endorsement @ 100 hrs sounds like a sales pitch for there a-star. I currently work in northern Alberta and the amount of 44's is amazing. on a side note...any oilfield experience is a great asset as well. Pilot/Operators are still in huge demand and the pay is usually quite well! just a few idea's to ponder....

As a 100 hour pilot, you would not be used on the jobs that require an Astar. If you must go turbine I'd opt for the 206, but dc heli has a good post there as well. As I've mentioned before in other threads, as a Chief Pilot, I would want to be doing your turbine training myself if you come to me with less than 50 hours, unless you get it from a really good school known to me - after all, I would have to invest in PPCs and stuff anyway, and it 's not much extra in the great scheme of things. Your money is possibly spent better on some practical training, such as a mountain course? Assuming it's not wildly more expensive?

just some thoughts

phil