Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Persian Gulf!

Persian Gulf was a great place to be in the 50's and 60's. The world has changed a lot since then and so many places over there are hostile towards us white fellows of course our governments did rip them off for the oil so what should we expect. If you can find a god gig, fine, but watch your 6 as you are an " infidel "

"A great place to be in the 50' and 60's". I guess by that statement you were over in the Persian Gulf during that era? "Watch your 6 as you are an infidel". Are you an expert in Middle Eastern affairs or just another "somebody" thinking they know what they are talking about being fed information from the media such as CNN! Thank goodness we have Dubya Dubya to lean on when times are tough. Oh Yee of little faith.

ZAP ZAP

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say something here.

I worked in the Middle east for the past three years and I thought it was OK. Maybe not the cash cow it was in the past but that is a reflection of the fact that the people who live there are now in control for better or worse. I was treated well and was given everything promised by my employers.

The burocracy of most companies in this part of the world are run by people from India or Pakistan. If you treat them with respect they will respond with respect. If you treat them with contempt they will make your time in Abu Dhabi or Dubai or wherever a living ****. They have a different way of doing things but its their sandbox so learn to get along.

The Lords and masters of all are the Indiginous peoples of the area who are Arabs. They are in charge now and longing for a past time when European types controlled everthing in aviation are wasted wishes.

My experience is that they are a Noble and Honerable group and that you will do no worse with a lot of the fly by night companies currently operation in Canada.

I spent the past 2 years in Iran. Again they are a fine bunch of people and the diatribes against them in the Media are complete Hooie. All britain had to do in day one of the so called Hostage crisis was to admit their crew screwed up and say sorry. Oh and bring a box of cookies to the meeting. Problem solved and all crew members home. But NOOOOOOOO.

They go into a rant about release em or else. Well that sort of attitude just don't work in that part of the world.

I sure hope those kids get home OK in spite of the incredable piss poor management on the part of the British Government.

Good manners and patience go along way in the Middle East.

I never thought about my 6 while there. I thought Iran was the safest place I'd ever worked next to Lake Athabaska.

I can completley concur with what Duece has said, after 9 years in Abu Dhabi and Doha and for the most part, better treatment than here in Canada, I look forward to the day I hear the call to prayer again.

Sure, some people have not enjoyed their time over there, but it does nobody any good to slag them off, just because it was not for you.

As for danger, I was alot safer over there than most places in the world, simply because people who break the law are dealt with severly, and then deported, and golden goose is gone for good.

As far as conditions, still way better than here, but yes, not as good as they once were, big deal!

As Deuce said, show good manners and a little patience, and you will get along, anywhere, walk around with a chip on your shoulder thinking your sh*t don,t stink, you,ll get what you deserve, and then some.

What more can I say? Deuce and gwk have summed it up very nicely! I can leave my car anywhere in Dubai and it won't get scratched. Women can walk around the city at midnight with no worries. Sure, there's crime, but it mostly stays within racial groups, and it also tends to be people who take money for apartments then run away. Hit and run drivers also.

Most ordinary people just want to pay the mortgage and feed the kids, regardless of nationality. Treat them that way and you won't go far wrong.

Mind you, there are some companies who could do with a change of management.

Phil