Airmanship Do's And Don'ts

Just like to get a thread going about some good and bad displays of airmanship.

I'll start,

In the last few weeks, TWO helicopters have taken off directly over my machine... not overly impressed when there's ample room to depart away from other aircraft.

Long lining around other helicopters should of course be kept to a minimum, but flying a hook over parked machinery is really not necessary either.

Had my doors open the other day, pax departing the machine when another helicopter came in to land and stopped well short until my doors were closed, and rotors had come to a stop. To that pilot :up: .

Anybody wish to contribute?

AR

I usually have more beefs with the fixed-wing pilots flying around. Specifically piss-poor radio calls or very looonnnnnng and slooooooow transmissions. Uncontrolled airports are magnets for fixed-wing weekend warriors that suffer severe cases of mic-fright.

On the helicopter side, I also hate it when a ship comes in too close while I'm shutting down. Bad form!

Some, not all, seismic pilots who have all the other radios turned off, and then when you fly anywhere in the area after having made calls on about 3 different frequencies they snap at you when they can't get a response. Turn "your" volume up before you scream at the rest of us flying with our volumes up. Just my 2 cents had a bad day!!

need a beer!!!!

cheers

CT

People who spend 20 minutes talking about their fishing weekend on the only fire frequency.

I don't mind the weekenders so much, chi-town, but they can be a pain, I agree. At least they don't know much better - professionals should!

Yeah, and flying over other machines, especially when the cowlings and/or doors are open - as splitpin says - don't piss off your engineer!

Phil

I definately see what you mean about radio calls...

"Penticton radio this is piper abc sitting at the um.... er.... ah.... hangars...um... request... wait... request advisory for a local south flight to oliver, were gonna go look at some pretty flowers and show the pax what the piper is good fer, you know the pipers are an interesting fleet, I wonder what kinda cereal the people that build them eat? Well anyway I like cheerios because they taste good and theyre not to expensive but enough about me lets talk about my homebuilt..."

Theres a few of those here. real pain in the neck when one is paying 2$ a minute sitting on the apron waiting for them to leave.

Other then that, defintely flying to close to others... i noticed a helicopter come quite close one day as it began to manipulate the controls in the poor ole 172... he did figure it out right away though and correct... for that, cudos!

Cole

P.S. Very interesting topic, looking forward to the responses on this thread.

Dislikes <_< .....Pilots that rely solely on GPS and will not pull out the map(s), Pilots that do not check NOTAMS, Pilots that do not file flight plans/itineraries, Pilots that circle in close to us while logging and do not talk to us, Pilots that intentionally over load the aircraft to get the job done, Pilots that think they are better than they actually are (egos), Pilots that are moody and unfriendly, Pilots that do not DI their a/c, Pilots that do not know their flight manual .....whew, I feel better now...... :blink:

Likes :) .......Pilots that are knowledgeable, outgoing, friendly, considerate, sincere, helpful, humble.....in other words, a consumate professional that sets a good example for others..... :up:

Please feel free to insert engineer for pilot where appropriate..... ;)

Dislikes <_< .....Pilots that rely solely on GPS and will not pull out the map(s), Pilots that do not check NOTAMS, Pilots that do not file flight plans/itineraries, Pilots that circle in close to us while logging and do not talk to us, Pilots that intentionally over load the aircraft to get the job done, Pilots that think they are better than they actually are (egos), Pilots that are moody and unfriendly, Pilots that do not DI their a/c, Pilots that do not know their flight manual .....whew, I feel better now...... :blink:

Likes :) .......Pilots that are knowledgeable, outgoing, friendly, considerate, sincere, helpful, humble.....in other words, a consumate professional that sets a good example for others..... :up:

You forgot helmet throwing :blink:

I believe I'll let Helilog56 do all the talking for me on this subject......it saves exact repetition.