Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chc - West

Guest Bullet Remington

Guest Bullet Remington

OK, some of you all knowing Caldrons of information! Some body fill me in on CHC West. I'm referring to the Edmonton Base.

I've not kept up on the CHC picture so what's the scoop.

Did CHC domestic get sold out to employees and/or another company? OR is CHC still part of the Cod Father's/ Cod father's family, network of helicopter companies?

What is the Edmonton Base doing? Contracts? If so for whom? Are they doing outside maintenance??

And of course, the usual rumours/facts as you know them! Salary/wages for Wrenchbenders, working conditions, bonuses (I know, stop laughing!! ) Who's the Big Shots, what R they like to work for, etc, etc..

Please do enlighten me, I not know a heck of alot about them! I did do some contract work for them but that was over 20 years back and way up North!

Cheers

BR

We might hear from Skywrench1 on this one. When I was there he was the only one you could trust, but alas, he like a lot of good people has left for a less stressful life and better pay. I've got nothing really bad to say about them. I was always treated well, but the bureaucracy, politics and backstabbing can drive you NUTS!! You ask who is in charge at Edmonton?? One word--Montreal

Guest Bullet Remington

Splitpin:

I am aware that the "decisions" made at the Montreal office are binding!! And from my experience, what you described is pretty well descriptive of evey other operator I've worked for/with! I referring to the backstabbing, politics and every other thing!

Basically, I've come to accept that this behaviour is a prerequiste of anybody that's spent any time in this freakin racket! It's amazing, isn't it, how one day you're working on a machine beside a good engineer, the next he's the Crew Chief/DOM and he's becomes the biggest moronic idiot you've ever seen!

The reson I asked about CHC West is because they're looking for a Hangar Supervisor for Maintenance. Primarily, I was/am interested in finding out why! Did the last guy/gal quit, retired or "encouraged" to seek other opportunities?

I have a rough idea (based upon first hand sources) of the salary of the position (yes, it's very low) but primarily I was/am interested in what the atmosphere is like within the maintenance department.

Oh, by the way, were you on the Bonny when that fella J.D. got smacked with the Tracker hook? I worked with him for eons!

Keep yer stick on the ice!

BR

I think it goes like this.

Canadian Helicopters (INC) is a wholly seperate company from CHC. It was sold a few years ago and is not affiliated with CHC in any was.

CHI (which interestingly is also the acronym for Columbia Helicopters and Cougar Helicopters) operates in Canada.

CHC operates everywhere in the world except Canada.

To make matters more confusing, the paint jobs are still the same but the little red chicken logo has been replaced with a boomerang which might be a reflection of how many Australians are working there. :lol:

CHC doesn't call itself Canadian Helicopters any more in the attempt to brand itself by it's acronym. Like KFC or IBM.

I have worked for CHC for the past three years and find them to be excellent employers with the most comprehensive training program I have ever seen.

DB is correct. Except for the fact that Canadian Helicopters International is now called CHC Global. As he said, not that long ago there was an Eastern-Western-International Division to Canadian Helicopters. Now they are two different companies. I'd work for both companies again. Most companies treat you as well as you let them treat you.

Splitpin:

I am aware that the "decisions" made at the Montreal office are binding!! And from my experience, what you described is pretty well descriptive of evey other operator I've worked for/with! I referring to the backstabbing, politics and every other thing!

Quite a bit more there.

Basically, I've come to accept that this behaviour is a prerequiste of anybody that's spent any time in this freakin racket! It's amazing, isn't it, how one day you're working on a machine beside a good engineer, the next he's the Crew Chief/DOM and he's becomes the biggest moronic idiot you've ever seen!

Truer words were never spoken!!

The reson I asked about CHC West is because they're looking for a Hangar Supervisor for Maintenance. Primarily, I was/am interested in finding out why! Did the last guy/gal quit, retired or "encouraged" to seek other opportunities?

I have a rough idea (based upon first hand sources) of the salary of the position (yes, it's very low) but primarily I was/am interested in what the atmosphere is like within the maintenance department.

In the four years I have been full-time with them. Three CE's (Mediums) and Four Hanger Supervisors. Be prepared for 24/7 and a cell phone strapped to your a--. As for atmosphere--no comment

Oh, by the way, were you on the Bonny when that fella J.D. got smacked with the Tracker hook? I worked with him for eons!

No I wasn't, but I was there when a tug driver got chopped in half by a burst of 50 cal. The pilot left the guns charged and power on the ship. Guy riding the brakes started playing with switches on the control stick. WHOOPS!! VERY messy.

You should try to PM Skywrench1. (sorry Skywrench1) He was much closer to upper managenent than I chose to be. He's a very honourable gentleman and I would take what he may have to say as Gospel.

My Best

Splitpin

Keep yer stick on the ice!

BR

Guest Bullet Remington
BR: Bite the bullet and go and visit, what have you got to lose.

The executive VP (DW) is an islander, just bring a bottle of Pusser Rum and tell him I sent you, you'll be booted out real quick.

Cheers, Don

Don:

I at this stage of my life I have no interest in working for them. Having siad that, a number of years back, I believe 1994 (+/- a few years) I went into the hangar in Edmonton on three different ocassions. I couldn't get pass the lady at the receptionist desk!

And trust me on this one, I really don't need to mention your name to get turfed out of a business! I can do that very well all on my own!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But thanks anyways!

BR

Guest Bullet Remington

Splitpin:

Thanks for your straigt forwardness. Greatly appreciated!

Keerist, 3 Chiefs and 4 H Supervisors in 4 years is kinda much! Almost as bad as a "certain" company just outside Calgary! ( I can't mention the name, Kyle would be all over my butt like stink on a skunk's arse! :shock: )

I do believe that statement clearly defines the atmosphere clearly!

I appreciate the recommendation to contact Sky, but I don't like to contact folks privately to solicit information. Should he post here, then that would be different. In that he's chosen NOT to post any comments, I am of the belief that he wouldn't want to be bothered by PM either. And that's fine with me!

As is stated else where, I'm really not interested in working there full time, for less money then I can earn in a 3 - 4 month period working contract! And less then HALF what I can earn playing poker for 3 hours a day three or four days per week!

As for the cell phone thingy, I'm used to that. When I worked for a "certain" Natural resourses, I had a cell phone, an EMO radio in the truck and in the freakin house! The only time those things ring is when I was in the "Heads"! That's become part of the racket as well! Even though not every thing about the "Good Old Days" were good, I do on ocassion find myself wishing things were more like they used to be!! Could be that "progess' is staring and/or HAS passed me by!! :shock:

I hadn't heard about the machine gun incident! I can well imagine that was a messy affair. How about the fuel tank thing? You aware of that one??

After thinking about the Bonny and the Naval Air Arm, I do believe you are a mite bit older then I am! Now I'm NOT saying you're Old, old! BUt, were you and I Cars, I do believe on your arse it would say "Antique" while on the other hand mine would read "Classic"!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: