Get a helmet....cuz when it all goes wrong, you'll have just enough time to think "man, I wish I had a helmet on right now...."

I had an alpha, mind you an older model (1998) 200 series...the c of g of the helmet was very high on the helmet...I did my research, and the gallet folks designed the helmet so that the c of g is close to the middle of you head. Its a great helmet, nicely balanced and not a huge stress on your neck when you bend your head over for that oh-so-famous astar longline pose.

As was said above....Merit Apparell out of Vero Beach, Florida. These guys are the largest distributer of Gallet helmets in the world (or so I was told by the guy there) Guy you want to talk to is Rob. Tell him what you do, where you live (very important for duty purposes) and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what it costs you to get a nice helmet delivered to your door.

Oh ya...get the passive hush kit...earseals and Zeta liner ....more than worth the price of admission

JL

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it conforms to the old saying:

"Better to have one and not need it, then to need it and not have one"

I hear the Gallet's are really well built. I dont know about flight helmets but c of g and weight are something I tell people to look at when buying motorcycle and bike helmets.

Cheers, keep it coming, all interesting info.

Ryan;

I was also under that impression when I ordered the lid. However, it would appear that if you use a customs clearing house at the border, you must pay duty and taxes. Now, if a body were to drive across the line and pick one up, I dont kow how that would work. My fault for folowing the rules I guess. (are we being watched?) I have heard some companies will tag the unit as "repaired" but its kinda hard to justify when the unit is packed in bubble wrap and never been on anyones head. :shock: Anywhooo...As for the Alpha Eagle in the Astars, no problem..plenty of room and I am a fairly tall guy. But the 120's with air conditioning...well now thats a different story. My helmet has a few scars from hitting the windscreen vent with the top of the helmet. But after a few sharp smacks I soon learned not to lean that far forward. :blink:

I took Jammed Lefts advice in regards to the Florida connection (Merrit Apparel) a few months ago, the service was great and No hasels what so ever.....it's nice dealing with an individual (Rob) who know his product.

And back to the topic...........don't leave home without it, cause you'll only need it once!

LTE

I took Jammed Lefts advice in regards to the Florida connection (Merrit Apparel) a few months ago, the service was great and No hasels what so ever.....it's nice dealing with an individual (Rob) who know his product.

And back to the topic...........don't leave home without it, cause you'll only need it once!

LTE

Can't put a price on the ol' noggin, every helmet does the same thing and thats saving your head!!.

It'll all boil down to personal preference.

I got a Gallet loaded up and purchased it from Van Isle avionics. Ive been wearing it for 4 years and don't have one complaint>

HGU84 on sale in the clearance section of the Flight Suits web site. Size large, dark blue for $1199.

I"ve had an alpha 200 for about a year now. The first one I got was too big so I ordered a smaller one which also ended up being a smaller shell size (sweet). It was quite tight when I first got it, but I refused to go bigger. I made a few small alterations (which didn't alter the integrity of the helmet) and you won't catch me wearing anything else. It's super light and super slim, especially if you go with the soft cover over a single visor. If you go with the plastic visor shield it makes the helmet quite bulky. I just sent my receipt away to my accountant with my taxes, but I seem to remember $1450 CAD and I paid no duty.

School was a good place for compairing helmets there was quite a few there. I have an alpha eagle 900 with just a single visor and it seems alot lighter then the gentex ones I felt. Granted I am a 100hr pilot so I have no experience using in the field but it was comfortable flying everyday at school. Even the alphas with two visors felt heavier enough that I was happy to have just the one visor. I've always worn a helmet mountain biking and I dont remember the time it payed for itself but I'm told I walked away from it.

There are only a couple broken bones that end your life and a helmet takes the most likely one away.