I have to agree with an earlier writer. A helmet is a no-brainer. S**t happens! And when it happens there is rarely any warning and it usually happens at the worst time possible. The helmet can save your life but more than that, it can save your passengers lives. When you lose a bit of blade and are being thrown all over the cockpit, being knocked unconscious means your passengers buy the farm along with you. A 20 lb goose coming in the front window could blind you or knock you out but a helmet will hopefully mitigate the injuries. As for what type, I had an HGU55 for quite a while and agree about how irritating the rubberband visor is, plus there is minimal protection from scratches. I got that model because it was the least bulky and lightest one available, and the price was right. I recently replaced it with an HGU 86 with a single visor which I like very much. Most helmets nowadays seem to have lots of leather in their construction which can be a problem due to deterioration due to persperation. the leather should be cleaned and waterproofed frequently. I went with the HGU 86 for the same reasons as the 55 model but the price was a major factor also since I don't have many more years of flying left now. $2500 seems a lot to pay for some helmets but for a younger guy with lots of years left, he should get 10 years and maybe 5000 hours flying out of it. 50 cents an hour doesn't seem an excessive price to pay for protection.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this info is great, keep them coming.

Now for all the people that wear glasses, did you find any problems wearing your glasses with the helmet on???

I have always flown with glasses, which has been a pain to say the least.....The Oregon Aero ear seal upgrade works really well and has improved the comfort of my Alpha 200 ten fold, and while your there the Zeta liner makes any helmet fit prefectly.

Cheers

Glasses.........You will have to buy frames with thin arms, otherwise they will be uncomfortable, and let too much sound in around the ear seals. Take your helmet to the optometrists to try some different styles.

If you wear contacts you will need a back-up pair onboard with you, or a pair of glasses that fits your prescription. So you may just want to buy glasses that fit.

I have ended up sleeping away from my own bed without prior notice for several different reasons during my career. Having glasses rather than lenses made that alot easier !!

Oregon Aero.......I'm glad to see so many guys now use the liner and kit. I've been using and loving it for years.

Visors.......Try and get the double visor model if you ever want to fly heliskiing. Flipping from the dark green to yellow visor is just great when flying in the bright sun and then deep shadows of springtime.

Noise cancelling........this is a great technology, but I have yet to hear of a system that doesn't go kaput within a few months. I've given up on constantly trying to fix mine.

i just bought a gallet helimit it coast me 2300 canadian bucks, and that was with a hush kit, noise suppresion kit, mp3 adapter, 16' coild cord, and about all the other good stuff you can get, it took about 6 weeks from the time i orderd it to the time it was on my head, it fits great, very comfterble and light, but i find it doesn't protcet you from noise ver well. i'm flying a 500 and after an hour my ears are ringging, i would go with a alfa eagle, if i was to buy another, but if your intrested heres the place i bought it from. http://www.meritapparel.com/

i just bought a gallet helimit it coast me 2300 canadian bucks, and that was with a hush kit, noise suppresion kit, mp3 adapter, 16' coild cord, and about all the other good stuff you can get, it took about 6 weeks from the time i orderd it to the time it was on my head, it fits great, very comfterble and light, but i find it doesn't protcet you from noise ver well. i'm flying a 500 and after an hour my ears are ringging, i would go with a alfa eagle, if i was to buy another, but if your intrested heres the place i bought it from. http://www.meritapparel.com/

[The sound attenuation on my new HGU 86 is excellent. The best I've ever had and that is without any dynamic sound reduction. It's the first time I haven't had that ringing problem after 8 hours in the saddle.

If you are interested in the Alpha Eagle talk to Maxcraft in Richmond, B.C.

Buy it with the soft visor cover. Gives you extra clearance and makes it that much lighter.

You have any idea how much Maxcraft is selling it for?? It's probably cheaper if I get it from the states??

You have any idea how much Maxcraft is selling it for?? It's probably cheaper if I get it from the states??

I got an alpha eagle 900 with single visor and hard protector with no ANR for about 2000 after taxes. Talk to Alex there hes a great guy to deal with and their prices seemed pretty fair to me.

I got an alpha eagle 900 with single visor and hard protector with no ANR for about 2000 after taxes. Talk to Alex there hes a great guy to deal with and their prices seemed pretty fair to me.

Do you know how much more it would be for a dual visor?? and what type of mic did you get??

Actually we bought 5 at the same time from Alex at Maxcraft, he was able to give us a slight discount. As we are overseas we did not have to pay the GST. I also did look at purchasing directly from Alpha in the UK, as well as Alpha reps in Oz, New Zealand and USA. Macxraft came up with the best price and Alex provided excellent service. He also made good on a delivery date that was much quicker than the other companies.

Either way give him a call and see what you think.