Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sore Back In The Astar

In Shawn Coyle's book, The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters, he discusses the problems caused by poorly built seats, poor seating position and the varying vibrations present. Unfortunately he doesn't offer a solution but like others have said, these simple things can end a flying a career according to him.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.......core strength helps "alot". Keep fit, exercise along with a lot of stretching (carried with me from my kickboxing days), pay's big dividends. With over 17,000 flight hours and 10,000 of that longline, my back still does not bother me at 51 years of age..... :P

• Like 1

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.......core strength helps "alot". Keep fit, exercise along with a lot of stretching (carried with me from my kickboxing days), pay's big dividends. With over 17,000 flight hours and 10,000 of that longline, my back still does not bother me at 51 years of age..... :P

core strength? kickboxong? 17,000hours? 14 years younger than me? Jeez, I will NEVER give you a hard time helilog56!!! :up: :up: :up:

And there you go, as I was trying to say, it is up to you to keep yourself fit and strong, try not to rely on crutches, do not let yourself (GO) and grow into a Medium or Heavy.

BUT, if you do fall behind the curve, for whatever the reason, have a back door ready, same as good flying!

Hi Guys

Had a thread a while back as I used to get a sore back from the 500 when longlining which I know is common. Got that all sorted but now I have been doing a bit of work in a BA Astar (not lifting) and my lower back has been giving me some real grief...Anyone else had this in the Astar ?? Usually starts after about 3 hours or so. Flown other Astars with no trouble so also wondering if its that particular seat. Keen to hear any quick fix idea's

Thanks in Advance

TT

I think you should just toughen up!! ha

Hope all is going well for you over there, just don't come back sounding like one of them :lol:

I gotta agree with OverTalk. If you have strong stomach muscles you're much more likely to have a pain free back. I know strengthing my stomach muscles has made my somewhat chronic back pain go away. Increasing your flexibility and stretching are other big factors. The solutions are easy but you gotta do the work.

ttf

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

Some times I getting this problem. When I do, I remove the back portion of the seat cushion from the a/c (stow with a/c in case you have a machine swap) and install said personal cushion and enjoy the benefits of comfort and improved visibility of the dash. I'm a little taller so with a Eurocopter back pad I'm to far forward and for longlining with the factory back pad......well let's just say It's really hard on the door frame and the paint on your helmet. And another bonus is it packs easily on top of your duffle bag when travelling to/from job.

https://orthoseatinghq.com/

I have had a few Astars that had the "lumbar" portion of the back seat cushion in the wrong place.  They were too high and caused back pain very quickly.   Make sure that the back part of the cushion is put in first and the base cushion next.  This ensures that the lumbar part is low enough to be where it should be.  There are aftermarket cushions out there where the lumbar cushion is adjustable to ones height.  You open up the side zippers one the side of the back cushion and move the small lumbar cushion up or down to your comfort. HeliCushion by Helicart.com is one that is made in Canada.  Check it out!