Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How Many Mistakes Can You Make

skidkicker

what would be grounds to be let go from a company- forgetting tools, ordering wrong parts, refusing to sign the apprentises log books just out of spite, close calls?

or is the industry too short for employees that we let flight safety take a back seat.

Just because you will go on 5 week bush tours should not guarentee employment

interesting.......

either you're "that" employee very close to losing your job, or you work alongside one and you're pissed to see him still working when you think he shouldn't be.

basically, the things you mentioned don't concern flight safety, it just makes him a moronic idiot so far. Please elaborate on the "close calls" and maybe we can pass judgement.

In this industry right now there is a shortage, and yes, some from the bottom of the barrel will be hanging in longer than they otherwise would if there was a bigger pool of highly qualified guys to choose from. Imagine what would happen if a union had their foot in the door.

actuall im the guy pissed off, but my real question is if there are other operators with the same problem? Are these type of employees scattered throuout the industry?

Fenstrom, since you asked, the biggest close call was a tail rotor pitch change failure that ended in a emergency run-on landing.

Scary if there was any sort of union, but from what i have seen in this case, a shortage in engineers is somewhat equal to the same if not worse.

Tricky business the topic of this post. I tend to rely on the credence of "give them enough rope and they will hang themselves"

Yeah, but just be very careful not to give them TOO MUCH rope as they may hang somebody else with them as their problems MAY encroach into the realms of flight safety.

If you have ANY doubts at all as to the integrity of the person involved, nip it in the bud BEFORE somebody gets hurt!

Remember, fly safe!murphy_596x850.jpg

forgetting tools, ordering wrong parts, refusing to sign the apprentises log books just out of spite, close calls?

As long as a person who has made a mistake learns form the mistake and applies the knowledge for the most part the employer gains a benefit.

If the first one is the norm, then the second one doesn't apply. There is a learning curve, and then there is a 'crusing curve' (minimum knowledge/effort/work).

If your not on the first curve, someone will get hurt (or worse) on the second curve.

actuall im the guy pissed off, but my real question is if there are other operators with the same problem? Are these type of employees scattered throuout the industry?

Fenstrom, since you asked, the biggest close call was a tail rotor pitch change failure that ended in a emergency run-on landing.

Scary if there was any sort of union, but from what i have seen in this case, a shortage in engineers is somewhat equal to the same if not worse.

I assume the reference to "pitch change failure" mean that flight controls were involved. My question is whether he was the one doing the work, or the one doing the dual check.

In my experience, I once did a dual check wrong early in my career, simply because I was inexperienced on the job (and really shouldn't have been doing the dual) however, I got more of a boot kick, than the guy who initially did the installation wrong. I understand now that the person doing dual checks is supposed to be more responsible in the end.

I agree with everyoe that the learning curve is steep in this industry and sometimes you don't get a second chance and people lose their lives.

Maybe this guy isn't meant for this industry, maybe he's just having some short term trouble. Co-workers not working as part of a team wouldn't help him either.

What else is he having trouble with??? Is there any more flight safety issues?

what would be grounds to be let go from a company- forgetting tools, ordering wrong parts, refusing to sign the apprentises log books just out of spite, close calls?

or is the industry too short for employees that we let flight safety take a back seat.

Just because you will go on 5 week bush tours should not guarentee employment

The "refusing to sign the apprentices log book" is interesting. I've had some of the younger guys who thought that once they did a job one time it's all good to come and get your book signed but the reality is the book shouldn't be signed until whoever is doing the pen work is happy the apprentice can do it on their own without error or supervision.

We are all human, as long as we learn from mistakes and have someone that will check work the real catastrophic stuff will be avoided. There are also a ton of variables to each close call for someone on the internet to say if anyone deserves to be shitcanned.