Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canada Vrs. Us Training

TJ Bear

Hours don't mean anything as far as I'm concerned, I know some guys that are teaching that should be in the bush flying because they are terrible instructors, then I know some guys that have no bush time and are very good at teaching.

Look at the reputation of the school that will tell you alot.

Hours don't mean anything as far as I'm concerned, I know some guys that are teaching that should be in the bush flying because they are terrible instructors, then I know some guys that have no bush time and are very good at teaching.

I would have too agree!!! :punk:

And of course, you are goin to give me a convenient web site where everybody's reputation has a rating just like E-bay right? I don't have any real connection to the industry except this site. Maybe what seems obvious to you insiders is not so obvious to outsiders. And not to start another subject necesarrily, but for as fanatiacal as I have been about finding out all I can about the industry I am constantly amazed at how hard it is to "penetrate". How do you find out anything about an industry that operates mostly behind chain link fences unless you happen to work on the inside of those fences. I've been on both sides of that fence so it's not a completely foreign world,....but I decided that if I was ever going to fly the thing to do was to get off the airport and go make some real money.... so now I'm on the "outside". For an industry that is starving for pilots and mechanics you would expect them to do the same thing every other industry does when they are hungry for people, get pretty good at making outsiders feel welcome. But it seems like nobody wants you to bother them unless you are approaching with a fistful of cash... I know, it's a tight business and all that.. I just wanted to vent I guess.

TJB.....Not sure where you live, but here above the 49th parallel we are hospitable and many doors are open. There are numerous schools and also operators that would be most happy to give free advice and direction to help get you started......it just sounds as though you have not reached the right people in your research.

Think positive......and never give up on your dreams.

I'm in the same situation you are as far as being an outsider, probably even more so since I have no work experience in the industry and thus, have no contacts. But through this site and by knocking on doors, I've gathered enough information to know where I want to train, where I want to go in the industry and how to get there (more or less). All of this has come about just by messaging people on here and looking through the phone book and making cold calls. Some of them will tell you to get bent (politely) but the vast majority will want to help.

Schools are a good point of contact since they all want your money and will never turn you away. A lot will even work around your schedule. Leverage that and get some names and then drop by with some doughnuts and say so-and-so from the FTU mentioned your name and I'd like to know more about...

That said, I'm still trying to get a sit down with Helilog but I imagine with all the HEPAC stuff he still doesn't have time for a beer :)