Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jet A In A '93 Cummins Diesel

Heliboy

It doesn't have the lubrication qualities that diesel has so the above post is correct. I would not hesitate however to cut you diesel with a little Jet A. i.e. this is where we dump out sump drained fuel (no water of course). Also the fuel from the EPA tank we throw in our fuel trucks 100gallon side tank.

212W is bang on......the lubricity is lacking for the fuel/injection pump, We do burn it a lot in the company powerstrokes, the engineers buy an inexpensive diesel fuel conditioner from Canadian Tire.....we've been doing it for years with no proiblems

No sweat.. Just add 1 lit. of your favorite 5w30 motor oil not synthetic to a 45 gal drum mix well and Bobs your uncle.. The other posters are right if your using Jet B but Jet A is really no different than good ole winter diesel or Arctic diesel as some may call it.. really saves on the pocket book. If you lucky enough to work out of a big shop or hangar where fuel drains are happening quite often and out of large aircraft you may not have to buy diesel at all unless your on a road trip or something. Been doing it for years in cars, trucks, and lots in my beloved twin diesel boat...

Just make sure you tell your boss that you really suspect water in your fuel drains and that is why you drained off a 5 gal. jerry can every week....

Cheers and fly safe Mini....

My lift pump quit a few months after burning Jet A. Not sure if was the jet or the pump itself as they do have a bad rep in the cummins. Was mixing HOWES diesel conditioner, and 2 stroke outboard motor oil which gives the fuel some colour so you know it's mixed.

Since replacing the lift pump, I have continued using the diesel conditioner and outboard oil about 200ml of each if not more per 20 litre jug and never run more jet then 50/50 with regular diesel. Since then there have been zero problems, I do notice a slight power loss but better milage.

"Safety come first, better get the water out of the fuel system" Let'er flow

Well being an ex diesel tech, I can say first hand that it is not just black and white. It really depends on the engine manufacturer. Not so much the engine but more so what type of injection pump that the manufacturer uses. If it is a Bosch or a Nippondenso pump with a little fuel conditioner you will "probably" be all right. Thats not to say you won't have any premature problems from your pump! If you do it will most likely be an $$$ fix from my past experiences. If you are running a chevy 6.5L or any other "light duty" diesel (ie Jetta) you are probably going to have troubles sooner than later. The Chev pump has plastic rollers in the pump and they are the weak link inthe system, made weaker by not running the proper fuel. So it is really one big gamble with the odds more in your favor if you are running a good heavy duty pump more similar to the ones found on Agriculture or Industrial equipment. In the last ten years the fuel companies have been running a low sulfer diesel and you should be using an additive for lubricity even when running straight diesel!

HF

Well being an ex diesel tech, I can say first hand that it is not just black and white. It really depends on the engine manufacturer. Not so much the engine but more so what type of injection pump that the manufacturer uses. If it is a Bosch or a Nippondenso pump with a little fuel conditioner you will "probably" be all right. Thats not to say you won't have any premature problems from your pump! If you do it will most likely be an $$$ fix from my past experiences. If you are running a chevy 6.5L or any other "light duty" diesel (ie Jetta) you are probably going to have troubles sooner than later. The Chev pump has plastic rollers in the pump and they are the weak link inthe system, made weaker by not running the proper fuel. So it is really one big gamble with the odds more in your favor if you are running a good heavy duty pump more similar to the ones found on Agriculture or Industrial equipment. In the last ten years the fuel companies have been running a low sulfer diesel and you should be using an additive for lubricity even when running straight diesel!

HF

Hmmmm--sort of seems to me that "helifarmer" knows what he's talking about!!

I would suspect that this post will now grind to a screeching halt.

Thanks for your expertise helifarmer. :D:D

Why should it come to a screaching halt.. The one thing helifarmer did not even touch on is adding oil to the diesel. He spoke only of using straight Jet A. Believe me there is a huge difference.I only started doing it because a diesel tech on the coast here has allso been doing it for many years while working on coastal logging shows. Runs it in his truck and his boat. He is one of the top marine techs for diesel engines on the B.C. Coast...

Cheers and fly safe all Mini...