Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jet A In A '93 Cummins Diesel

Heliboy

Lets try a different question here.

What are the legal aspects of operating a motor vehicle on the highway without paying the appropriate fuel taxes?

I know Farmers get a tax reduced fuel for farm use but it has a dye added to prohibit from use on the roads.

Why should it come to a screaching halt.. The one thing helifarmer did not even touch on is adding oil to the diesel. He spoke only of using straight Jet A. Believe me there is a huge difference.I only started doing it because a diesel tech on the coast here has allso been doing it for many years while working on coastal logging shows. Runs it in his truck and his boat. He is one of the top marine techs for diesel engines on the B.C. Coast...

Cheers and fly safe all Mini...

Origonal Post:

this might be a little off topic, but i was woundering if any of you guys were running jet A in your diesels? if so any long term effects? and what kind of conditioner do you use? thanks alot guys,

Tom

Helifarmers Answer:

Well being an ex diesel tech, I can say first hand that it is not just black and white. It really depends on the engine manufacturer. Not so much the engine but more so what type of injection pump that the manufacturer uses. If it is a Bosch or a Nippondenso pump with a little fuel conditioner you will "probably" be all right. Thats not to say you won't have any premature problems from your pump! If you do it will most likely be an $$$ fix from my past experiences. If you are running a chevy 6.5L or any other "light duty" diesel (ie Jetta) you are probably going to have troubles sooner than later. The Chev pump has plastic rollers in the pump and they are the weak link inthe system, made weaker by not running the proper fuel. So it is really one big gamble with the odds more in your favor if you are running a good heavy duty pump more similar to the ones found on Agriculture or Industrial equipment. In the last ten years the fuel companies have been running a low sulfer diesel and you should be using an additive for lubricity even when running straight diesel!

HF

Mini: As you can see, the original poster was just asking if you could burn Jet A in your diesel, and if you should use a conditioner. As far as I can see, helifarmer answered the question in a very clear , concise, and obviously professional manner. The original poster did not ask if you should put oil in Jet A, so why would helifarmer get into that? As far as I can see, helifarmer stuck to the original question and did not go spinning wildly off on a tangent.

As for my own personal opinion, why would anyone want to burn Jet A in their truck? You could buy a lot of diesel for the price of a new engine. Mind you, with the great money we make in aviation, we can afford to buy a new truck every 6 months, right? :down: :down: :down:

I'm guessing simple economics......I don't know current prices on deisel, but I believe they are not far off gasoline prices anymore (over a $1/L) , and Jet A, runs what 79 cents a liter (may be wrong there too)??? Bottom line, even at pennies less it's a savings for the short term at least. And if it's a lease vehicle, who cares on the long term affects right?

I'm sure if I could find a fuel source 20% cheaper, I'd sure do it too.

And with the added advantage of a bulk supply at your fingertips, at base or in the field, you don't need to search for that gas station......top up your truck before you leave staging....

Thanks Split pin!! And I was not trying to tell anyone here what to do with "their" diesel engine! I really and honestly dont care if you burn sand in it. I was only giving my opinion based on my experience. There are alot of guys out there who know a heck of alot more than I do. If you know someone who tells you to run oil in your fuel and you trust him, by all means go for it. For me, I will use fuel conditioner in my fuel and oil in the engine where it was ment to go. Goodluck and if you need the name of a good injection pump rebuild shop......let me know!

Thanks Split pin!! And I was not trying to tell anyone here what to do with "their" diesel engine! I really and honestly dont care if you burn sand in it. I was only giving my opinion based on my experience. There are alot of guys out there who know a heck of alot more than I do. If you know someone who tells you to run oil in your fuel and you trust him, by all means go for it. For me, I will use fuel conditioner in my fuel and oil in the engine where it was ment to go. Goodluck and if you need the name of a good injection pump rebuild shop......let me know!

My sentiments exactly helifarmer.

Have a good day

Splitpin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to share a bit about my Jet fuel in a automobile story. I've always been a diesel fan and when I got into Aviation was thrilled at the "waste" fuel available to burn in my Jetta. I was advised to put Howes fuel conditioner along with the Jet Fuel, and I did. I went the entire summer without buying fuel. I've since moved on from that wonderful car.

Most recently I picked up another turbo diesel Jetta and began to run it on Jet A. With good intention I bought fuel conditioner but never put any in. The fuel pump only lasted a 1000 km on straight Jet fuel.

Based on my experience I would suggest Howes fuel conditioner with Jet fuel in a diesel every time. Thanks everyone for your posts..

• 3 weeks later...