Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aerocourse Insrtument Workbook

SARblade

I'm just going through the workbook and have come up against the Approach ban min vis questions and the workbook has given me two questions that have different answers than I think are the right ones:

40. You are transitioning to the approach phase of your flight. The RVR for the intended runway is fluctuating between 800 and 1400 feet with an observed visibility of 1/8 SM. Can you do this approach?

a. Yes, the RVR is below minimums for the approach

b. No, the visibility has to be at least 1/4 SM

c. No, the minimum RVR value has to be 1200 feet or above

d. all of the above

Aerocourse answer: a Mine, b. using the exception of fluctuating RVR in the AIM

41. Turning on to the final approach trackprior to crossing the FAF, the RVR is reported at 800 with a visibility of 1/4 mile. Can you continue the approach?

a. No, RVR is below minimums for the approach

b. No, must have 1/2 mile to do the approach

c. Yes, because you past the outer marker outbound prior to receiveing the RVR report

d. Yes, the visibility permits you to conduct an approach regardless of the RVR value

Aerocourse answer: d Mine, a. again using the AIM

Comments anyone?

I'm just going through the workbook and have come up against the Approach ban min vis questions and the workbook has given me two questions that have different answers than I think are the right ones:

40. You are transitioning to the approach phase of your flight. The RVR for the intended runway is fluctuating between 800 and 1400 feet with an observed visibility of 1/8 SM. Can you do this approach?

a. Yes, the RVR is below minimums for the approach

b. No, the visibility has to be at least 1/4 SM

c. No, the minimum RVR value has to be 1200 feet or above

d. all of the above

Aerocourse answer: a Mine, b. using the exception of fluctuating RVR in the AIM

41. Turning on to the final approach trackprior to crossing the FAF, the RVR is reported at 800 with a visibility of 1/4 mile. Can you continue the approach?

a. No, RVR is below minimums for the approach

b. No, must have 1/2 mile to do the approach

c. Yes, because you past the outer marker outbound prior to receiveing the RVR report

d. Yes, the visibility permits you to conduct an approach regardless of the RVR value

Aerocourse answer: d Mine, a. again using the AIM

Comments anyone?

Hmmmm.

Question 40 is answer "a" as the course says. Yes you can do the approach AND the reported RVR is below minimums for the approach. However since it is fluctuating in a range less than 1200' and greater than 1200' you are authorized to go down and"take a peek". "a" is the most correct answer.

Question 41. CAR's says if the reported vis is at least 1/4 mile and the RVR is below you can continue. "d" is the correct answer.(d)

"the RVR is less than the minimum RVR, and the ground visibility at the aerodrome where the runway is located is reported to be at least one quarter of a mile;"

(amended 2006/12/01;"

Hope this helps. It looks like they just changed all the rules again in December. Thats why its so much much fun being an IFR pilot.

That and the cool organ grinders monkey suit we get to wear in 40 degree weather.

Dunno about the questions, but the key word is fluctuating:

An approach ban does not apply if the RVR changes once you have passed the FAF on final approach, or you are on a training flight and a missed approach will be initiated at or above DH/MDA, or you are on a Cat III approach. In addition, if the RVR is fluctuating rapidly above and below the minimum, or is below it due to a localised phenomena with ground visibility above ¼ m.

In short, you can make an approach if:

the lowest reported RVR is at or above minima

is fluctuating rapidly above and below it and the ground visibility is reported above ¼ m, regardless of RVR

RVR is unreported or unavailable

you are on a training flight, planning for a missed approach

Hope that helps

Phil

Here is what the AIM states:

CAR 602.129 specifies that instrument approaches by general aviation aircraft are governed by RVR values only. With certain exceptions, pilots of aircraft are prohibited from completing an instrument approach past the FAF (or where there is no FAF, the point where the final approach course is intercepted) to a runway served by an RVR, if the RVR values as measured for that runway are below the following minima:

MINIMUM RVR

MEASURED RVR* FIXED WING ROTOCRAFT

RVR "A" ONLY 1 200 1 200

RVR "A" AND "B" 1 200/600 1 200/0

RVR "B" ONLY 1 200 1 200

* RVR "A" located adjacent to the runway threshold.

RVR "B" located adjacent to the runway mid-point.

The following exceptions to the above prohibitions apply to all aircraft when:

a. when the below-minima RVR report is received, the aircraft is inbound on approach and has passed the outer marker or the fix that serves as the outer marker;

b. the pilot-in-command has informed the appropriate ATC unit that the aircraft is on a training flight and that the pilot-in-command intends to initiate a missed approach procedure at or above the DH or the MDA, as appropriate;

c. the RVR is fluctuating above and below the minimum RVR and the ground visibility of the aerodrome where the runway is located is reported to be at least 1/4 mile; or,

d. the pilot-in-command is conducting a precision approach to CAT III minima.

With respect to approach restrictions, in the case of a localized phenomenon or any fluctuations that affect RVR validity, where the ground visibility is reported by ATC or FSS to be at or above one-quarter statute mile, an approach may be completed.

The first question (40) has to do with fluctuating RVR, so if I apply the exception c. above, then I must look at reported visibility, it must be 1/4 mile. The question says 1/8 mile, this is below what is needed, therefore, the answer is No, reported visibilty must be 1/4 mile. Someone correct me in this matter? BTW, what is published in the AIM on the TC site is not the same as the current hardcopy AIM that I have. The above is directly out of the hardcopy, not the ecopy on line with TC.

The second question I simply apply the table, 800 < 1200 then can't do regardless of reported visibility, there is no exception in this case because I am not past the FAF inbound.

I have not looked at the CARs for this, perhaps the AIM is wrong, I will look.

:censored: :blush: Do I feel like a simpleton! Found the problem, I consulted the CARs and wouldn't you know it, there was a change in Oct 06. The AIM I am using is current but its at home. The one I have been using at work, which is the one I quoted above is last years!!! :censored:

Sooooooo, disregard my thread, I'm wrong. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone.

Here's the CARs version (most current):

(4) Where the RVR is reported to be less than the minimum RVR set out in subsection (2) or (3), as applicable, no person shall continue an instrument approach in an IFR aircraft unless

(amended 2006/12/01; previous version)

(a) at the time the RVR report is received, the aircraft has passed the FAF inbound or, where there is no FAF, the point where the final approach course is intercepted;

(b the aircraft is on a training flight where a landing is not intended and the appropriate air traffic control unit is informed that a missed approach procedure will be initiated at or above the decision height or minimum descent altitude, as appropriate;

(c the RVR is varying between distances less than and greater than the minimum RVR;

(d) the RVR is less than the minimum RVR, and the ground visibility at the aerodrome where the runway is located is reported to be at least one quarter of a mile; or

(e) the pilot‑in‑command of the aircraft is conducting a precision approach to CAT III minima.

(5) No pilot‑in‑command of an IFR aircraft shall commence a non‑precision approach, an APV or a CAT I or CAT II precision approach to an airport where low‑visibility procedures are in effect.

(amended 2006/12/01; no previous version)

Hey but thanks again for the response, goes to show you that using out of date pubs can be dangerous! :shock: