About Ppc's

Hi all.

Just curious to what everyone's PPC check rides and the bookwork is like?

Do you all have to know the %'s of all limits and if "the torque setting is this...then what would the TOT/T4 be?"

Do these kind of questions seem really important? Or is knowing how to safely operate the machine within limits shown on gauges more important?

Thanks all.

Hughesy

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Just remember this rule and you will be fine....

Green means its all good

Yellow means only go there for 5 minutes

Red means dont go there

:lol:

Just before I got work on a saturday morning, I thought I'd "throw" out my opinion

Numbers are just numbers, ans some of them are arbitrary. I remember them, but that is just because this is the way the insides of my noggin seems to work...

If I was to give you the PPC, I would be more interested in your knowledge of systems, and how they affect others. Don't know what you are taking the PPC on, but for example on the Bell 206, you need to understand some of the basic systems, and I like to ask when I train people to PPC level: What indications will you get when the Transmission oil pump shaft breaks"

If you can answer that one correctly, knows your C of G limits, understand weather reports, and are generally able to fly the A/C, then you will do ok. The rest of the numbers? I like to know that you know them, but hey, you should get atleast ONE thing wrong on the PPC, so that the examiner can teach you something. Makes him/her feel good... lol

and that is how I opine on that matter

Well I just finished a Transport monitored PPC on the 212 yesterday.

What I needed to know were all the Turbine temp, torque, N1 and single engine numbers by heart.

If you know more , great! Winnie is correct in that a decent understanding of fuel systems(especially on mediums and up), electrical systems etc...is needed. Being able to fly well should be a given, really know and understand airspace questions. I did it in Vancouver airspace but some people do it in much quieter airspace. They often ask questions about airspace in places like Vancouver, Winnepeg etc. They will say to fly like you normally would which makes sense. For some reason some of us fly like we think the examiner wants us to fly. Therefore we might goof up for a stupid reason. Call it PPC anxiety if you will. all in all just know as much as you can about things or at least know how to look it up quickly. Don't guess on questions you're not quite sure of. If in doubt, look it up.

Have fun and once you're done, you've done it and enjoy you're year of flying!

Don't forget about the supplement section of your AFM, rate of climb restrictions, doors off, how to read the charts, IGE, OGE etc. How to complete a weight and balance, critical wind azimuth, etc.

The transport guys are human, and if you show you are trying they will help. Enjoy the interaction.

Generally the oral portion of your PPC covers Aircraft limits, performance, emergency and cautionary procedures, usually there is a weight and balance calculation required as well. Your knowledge of your companies Ops Manual, Aircraft documentation, Airspace, and Air reg's could all be included.

It's all stuff you can look up and if you don't know the answer off the top of your head most examiners just want to see that you know where to look to find the information. You quite often get asked just that "Where would you look to find..."

The flight portion of your PPC will test your ability to manage the flight and fly the aircraft. Expect a confined area, a discussion about, if you get this light or that light what would you do?. Auto's,loss of hydraulics, tailrotor failures etc. will need to be demonstrated.

If you've never been on one not to worry, if your recurrent training is current which it should be before your ride you will have covered most of this stuff and be considered ready for your PPC.

Approach the flight as if the examiner is just another paying customer pre-flight briefing the works don't worry they will let you know if they want you to skip anything after all you are demonstrating your ability to work as a professional.

Of course depending upon how long you've been around and how many times you've flown with certain Inspectors the whole process can become quite abbreviated.

I've probably left something out... as I seem to every PPC.

Cheers.