Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Last Call.

Cole

I like that one huvrluvr... right up there with 'Have your bucket out while it rains'

Well, I went from thinking about callign, to calling, to now having a position waiting for me for January should I accept. Had a brief but interesting call with The CFI who seemed an enthusiastic and very down to earth, matter of fact style of person.

More info to come upon the confirmation (wouldnt want to put some sort of negative ora aroung the whole thing haha)

Cheers

Cole (The guy in penticton who cant get the grin off his face)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Cole, Pay attention here. BEFORE you sign your firstborn over to the bank, check into any federal and provincial student loans available. They used to be low interest loans, you didn't have to start paying until you finished your course, and they would amortize them over 10 years.

Now here is the best part.....it used to be that when you were finished your course you could apply for forgiveness of at least part of your loan. In some cases it meant forgiveness of 5 to 10K! This may still be true...LOOK INTO IT BEFORE you use body parts as collateral.

cheers,

RTR

Where would one check into the... Services canada? EI office said my cost of living may be covered if I bank enough EI credit.

Also, a friend said he heard because of some sort of post secondary push from the gov't there may be NO interest on the government student loan.

Any word as to how much one can borrow from the gov't and if the school has to be acredited to accept the loaned money?

Cole

I take it you are graduating this year? If so look into scholarships and bursaries for education. These are hard to track down sometimes but there may be some available. As for student loans it seems to be constantly changing, depending when the next election is :o .

The smile on your face will disappear as soon as you start any dialoge(sp.) with services Canada. :wacko:

Hey Cole, good on ya .. I had a post just a few days ago debating the whole loan no loan situation. With the assistance of a few pm's and my very own +/- lists I have come to the same realization you have .. go get it done .. I'm still waiting for my permanent resident papers to come through, but had the chat with the LOC lady from my bank already .. ;)

Where did you decide to train after all? I remember you posted quite the list and short list ..

Anyways, I met up with Matt_AS350 the other day .. would sure be cool if you kept a blog like he did as well!

fly safe

+M

Oh you can bet there will be a blog! I dont know where im staying, hoping on finding a place with internet though... Im also looking in to buying a laptop as part of the training cost to take notes on. (Laptops are much easier to keep notes on then paper). So If I end up somewhere with no internet I can always do the starbucks thing like matt did (factor in another 65,000 into training sounds about right eh Matt?)

Now I dont want to mess anything up (being a bit superstitous) but theres no harm in telling that I plan to attend the january course at Kootenay Valley Helicopters in Creston B.C. With CFI Wendell Maki.

2 questions now-

1. When will the huge smile go away?

2. What is the hiring situation like in May normally?

3. Anyone happen to know if next year is looking promising around may?

:unsure: Dont blame my math, its all the plank flying!

• 3 weeks later...
2 questions now-

1. When will the huge smile go away?

2. What is the hiring situation like in May normally?

3. Anyone happen to know if next year is looking promising around may?

:unsure: Dont blame my math, its all the plank flying!

Ill chip my two cents in here.

If you are planning to finish in May, then that's good. Just keep in mind that training can take longer than you think. The amount of no-fly days because of the weather this winter was incredible, and it also depends on how diligently you study. Plan for 6 months? But you already have your fixed wing background so some of the concepts wont require as much study.

Just something to keep in mind however.