Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Close Calls

splitpin

For all my fellow Engineers out there.

What's the closest you have ever come to a maintenance disaster?

Here's mine:

I was changing a 212 engine at Cambridge Bay a few years ago. We got the old engine out, cleaned up the bay, and got the new engine ready for installation. The engine was fresh from overhaul, and all paperwork was in order. Before slinging it up to the A/C, we remover the yellow protective caps from the ends of the oil transfer tubes, however we noticed that one was missing. Just to be sure we shone a light up the tube to check that nothing had got in there. It didn't look quite right. Poked a screwdriver in the tube and it would only go in about an inch. Hmmmm. Got my dental pick and started probing. Bloody H-ll it was a small black plastic plug in there, totally invisible!! At that point we were not sure if it was intentional or just a dumb mistake at the overhaul facility. So we had to remove all the transfer tubes to check for obstructions. Nothing found. Just think what would have happened if we did not spotted the obstruction.

Moral of the story I guess is, check, check, and check again!!!

changed an engine gearbox and turbine on a 500 with overhauled units. found out on the first flight that it was making metal. we flew back to base and in the subsequent investigation, found that a circlip was placed in the wrong groove during the overhaul, esentially moving the 2 1/2 bearing off it's normal running race. The bearing was chewing itself a new race on the shaft. How close were we until it failed....likely very close. There was alot of metal.... :down:

Took over a machine in the field once, and when I did my first D.I I found the lock was missing from the mast nut. Mast nut had been retorqed 5 hrs. previously. Found the lock plate, bolt and nut in the trailer. Retorqed the nut, installed the lock and had a 'DUAL INSPECTION' by one very shaken up Pilot.

Was asked to give a 205 a good look over as the pilot was complaining about a/c being rough...this was another companies machine but his engineer was not endorsed on the 205...found the four corner bollts for the trany were only on finger tight... :shock: :blink:

when I climbed up on the roof to give the mast a shake the rotor...head and mast just leaned to the side and stayed there...I just about browned my shorts...took 13 full turns with a tork wrench to tighten up the corner bolts...I told this story down at Bell in texas...they would not believe me...they said that that rotor should have ripped itself right off the roof....if the lift link had broke it would have and I have seen lots of liftlinks snapped in half...and this a/c had been flying for 6 weeks like that...pilot must have been very smooth.... :shock:

Bell 206A (S/N 8) model of ours at Great Lakes went into the harbor at the foot of Spadina in Toronto in April of 1977, flamed out over the Gardner. Pilot (Tom Kerkoff) did a masterful job putting QKV on the only patch of ice in the harbor. My bro was on board, scary situation. We manage to lift her off the lone piece of ice with a crane, she did not go below the static ports. I fell through the ice during the rescue, Eddie Porko pulled me out before I did the "Harry Houdini" and went through the ice. End result was a rag got sucked through screen and into the compressor.

With regards to the 2 - 1/2 bearing situation. I learned years ago from Neil Hancock (great rep!) at SAL to always check the spur adapter gearshaft circlip to ensure it's seated. I actually found one not seated before I installed the compressor. Also on the turbine once, fresh out of overhaul, no 6&7 finger screen.

I looked at a UH1 for a US customer, found the M/R straps had 7 years plus on them, XMS deck was like walking on nurf and the 5th mount was cracked. I was told that was the 3rd 5th mount in 300 to 400 hours of operation.

HBD

Guest Bullet Remington

Clest call I've ever had was in Colarado. A blond, brazilian, a teddy bear and one really PO'd lady!!

I'll leave it at that! Maybe TQN will elaborate!! :lol:

HBD:

Good post! U've been around almost as long as Biiy Bishop fer keerist's sake!! U ever get an office yet??

Cheers