Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Close Calls

splitpin

L3 on pop outs, at about 300ft on long final over water reached up and armed the floats, BANG! they deployed and I almost went inverted. Luckily I was flying alone and ONLY 10 knots faster than max arm and deployment speed.

Yes it was embarrassing landing back at the hanger with the big yellow bags out but I did learn a couple lessons:

1) Always check to see if the floats will arm properly before leaving the ground (and make sure the engineer or someone is not standing between the skid tube and fuselage while doing so)

2) NEVER Arm or Deploy pop outs above the VNE recommended by the manufacturer.

Turned out that the collective trigger switch was Making Fulltime Contact, therefore arming them caused inadvertant deployment.

popouthell.JPG

Guest Bullet Remington

:lol::lol:

OK TQN, I did have a smart arse response all about ships, and going down etc,etc.

But, I'm biting my tongue on this one!! :lol: As much as it hurts, I just gotta leave this one alone! :rolleyes:

Guest Bullet Remington
I can only imagine! :lol: Ahem. :rolleyes: Now you stop that, Bullet! We're detracting from Iceman's embarrassment of landing with deployed floats. :up:

Naah. We ain't distracting from Iceman's embarrassement, TQN.

Trust me (well try to anyways!! :rolleyes: ). I've been around this racket, and seen and experienced some really WTF RU doin! moments with a truckload of driver's. They'll talk about the 'easy" stuff they managed to get away with!

They'll never tell ya about the Holy Jasus shyte they've experienced! :lol::lol: Especially all the great stuff some of us wonky old engineers have done to them over the years!! :lol:

T'is a wonder some of these guys have any nerves left!! :shock: Or hair for that matter! :wacko:

Was dead headin a 212 with a afirly high time fella one day, returning from dropping of the Priemier and a couple of his croonies. Thusly, we were semi spiffed up! He was wearing a tie and I had my best patched up jeans and Sunday-go-to-meetin rubber boots on. He was a little tired so we had the SAS system on. He said you keep an eye on here, And took a nap.

I took a piece of catgut (Clear fishin line), hooked one end to his tie and the other around the sun visoy mount!

Then I hollered "HOLY FUGG"! You shoulda seen his reaction when he opened his eyes!! I haven't forgotten the scare he gave me tryin to get the machine rolled over.

Laughed like a bugger after he got done swearing! I've never done that again to a Fling Wing driver! :down: I did learn a couple of new words that day though!!

took a piece of catgut (Clear fishin line), hooked one end to his tie and the other around the sun visoy mount!

Then I hollered "HOLY FUGG"! You shoulda seen his reaction when he opened his eyes!! I haven't forgotten the scare he gave me tryin to get the machine rolled over.

Now that is funny...! :lol: :lol:

I took a piece of catgut (Clear fishin line), hooked one end to his tie and the other around the sun visoy mount!

Laughed like a bugger after he got done swearing! I've never done that again to a Fling Wing driver! :down: I did learn a couple of new words that day though!!

:lol: HA! Love it! And I've not heard fishin' line called "cat gut" since I was a wee one! :P