Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

National Helicopters And Canadain Heli? (toronto)

Stephen1547

National Heli is one of the school I am considering for my training, and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them, or has heard anything relating to them? I am heading out there next week to check it out, but I wanted to check on here first.

NATIONAL HELI WEBSITE

Also, Canadian Helicopters is near the top of my list of school. Again, any information regarding them would be greatly appreciated. They are a subsidiary of CHC, which I would assume offers them more credibility? CANADAIAN HELICOPTERS WEBSITE

I'm still open to the idea of training out west, but seeing how I would have to continue to work during my training (and I have a decent job now), I prefer to train in the Toronto area.

Any information you could offer would be helpful. How are these schools look upon by the Heli community (and in particular by the hiring managers at various Heli operators)? Am I shooting myself in the foot by training in Ontario versus out West? Obviously mountain time is great, but it is a significant setback if I decide to move out West for training.

Thank in advance

-Steve

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did a 2 hour into flight at Canadian Helicopters (first time I have ever flown a helicopters), and I am blown away. I was not ever 100% sure I wanted to do this for a living until I took control of an R22 and flew over the city. It's an unbelievable experience.

The instructor at Canadian seemed superb. I forgot to ask how man hours he had, but I know (company policy) that has at least 2000+. My guess a lot more. He was very good at gradually giving me control, and explained everything clearly. I found out that if you want honest advice on the industry, ask the AME. I got there about an hour before my flight time, just as the AME was arriving (he was the first one there, surprise, surprise). I ended up passing him wrenches while he let me in on some industry info.

Bottom line, I know what I want to do for a living now. I'm heading out to National Helicopters next weekend for another intro flight, and then I can make my final decision as to what school I want to attend.

Hey Steve,

I totally understand what your saying! I felt the same way when I flew the Schweizer 300 in North Bay. I've been in helicopters many times but never actually flown one. Getting to hover it, climb, decend, shoot an approach - it's absolutely breath taking!!

You said you couldn't get into Canadian because it was to busy and that you were going to visit National this weekend. I take it plans changed? That's cool tho, cause I've been in contact with Gregory from National and I'm planning on booking a tour/fam flight for next weekend aswell. Hoping for Saturday around 1:00PM, haven't heard back from him yet. Perhaps I'll see you there!

P.S. I suggest before you make a choice of one of those schools go take a fam flight in a 300. Who knows you may prefer to train in that heli. If your looking for a place close by that has one, Silverline Helicopters has one in Holland Landing just North of Newmarket. :)

Yeah, National didnt have an aircraft available this weekend, so I got bumped to next saturday at 9am. Who knows, I might see you there depending on how long I stick around for. Im flying with greg as well. When I talked to them it sounds like they are pretty busy out there, so you might have to wait a few days to get a conformation call.

Just in case you can see in the picture, I have a smile from ear to ear. It would be hard to find a happier guy anywhere at that moment.

crw9677rl4.jpg

haha, very nice. That's a big ol smile alright. I'm not so much for the smile, but I have the thumbs up going! :lol:

20MeandSchweizer.jpg

What did you think of that T-bar thing for the cyclic? I've never used one yet but to me it seems really weird.

National Heli is one of the school I am considering for my training, and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them, or has heard anything relating to them? I am heading out there next week to check it out, but I wanted to check on here first.

NATIONAL HELI WEBSITE

Also, Canadian Helicopters is near the top of my list of school. Again, any information regarding them would be greatly appreciated. They are a subsidiary of CHC, which I would assume offers them more credibility? CANADAIAN HELICOPTERS WEBSITE

I'm still open to the idea of training out west, but seeing how I would have to continue to work during my training (and I have a decent job now), I prefer to train in the Toronto area.

Any information you could offer would be helpful. How are these schools look upon by the Heli community (and in particular by the hiring managers at various Heli operators)? Am I shooting myself in the foot by training in Ontario versus out West? Obviously mountain time is great, but it is a significant setback if I decide to move out West for training.

Thank in advance

-Steve

Hey Stephen, I did my training at National back in 2003 at the London base which is no longer there. My flight instructor is now at Great lakes helicopters in Kitchener. Might want to check them out as well.

I don't have much experience with National in Toronto, however if you decide to go that way, pay AS you go.

As for aircraft type, the 300 is an easier machine to fly but as the saying goes, "If you can fly an R-22, you can fly anything." Odds are fairly high that your first job will be in an R-44, so your R-22 experience will be an advantage.

Hope this helps and go see Nick Booth at Great Lakes. He's a great instructor.

Vast

My opinion...if National has no time for you now!! That's just crazy to me, no time for a new student. Canadian seems like your best bet my friend. I'm actually going to do an hour with then on May the 15th with the R44. :punk: