Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

206lr's What Can They Really Do

I have heard some really good numbers on performance and some not so good numbers. From everyone out there that has flown the 206LR what are realistic number on external load and at what altitudes. I am courious on what an LR will do at all alltitudes and temps. Any help would be great.

Thank SW

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets put this to rest shall we....I was asked by my good friend bob glenn one time to see if it was feasable to get an LR....as it has or so we are told has really great range and they wanted to use it instead of the L2 or the L3 so hydro could get rid of a fuel cache out in bum f@#$K nowhere.I looked at him and said..well can that aicraft go straight up at full gross weight....I know that the L with a c30 will do it...the L with the c28 will not do it as I have tried....with a bit of a run...yes it will...but straight up on any day....no way...30knot wind on the nose...30 below....foget it it will not happen..so lets look at the LR. Okay it is slightly lighter than the other two a/c...but not much....and its making aorund 450 HP....thats 100 less than the L with a c28....you do the math...I told him to forget it...and bob being of sound mind did just that.....I have never flow one and from what people that have them have told me if you have light loads and you want to go a good distance they are great...but do not expect to load her to the nuts and go straight up and guess what customers like to do...the last guy got in here no problem...yes he was flying an L...oh I don't know what kind of L it was...it looked just like this one...sound familiar :down:

My experience with them is that if you're above 3000' and 20C you'll temp. out before you tq. out. :blink: If you follow that little flip out card on the side of the dash and have a heavy load to take to the top of the mountain, a 206B2 has better performance at altitude :shock: .

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I have lots of straight LR time.Moving drills mostly.The machines that i've flown had the c20r Soloy conversion.They are an amazing machine.Never temp out in the summer and thats at altitudes up to about 3000'

They are lightened up for external load stuff.Low skid gear.With an empty weight of 2250 Lbs they are good for about 1300 Lbs when you are getting down on fuel.I would rather be in the seat of an Lr over a 500 any day of the week and the cost per hour of running one is far less than a 500.They burn about he same as a 500 at 200 Lbs/hr.

Like any machine,they have there niche in the market.

Cheers

AEG

The LR is a bucket of poo - to say it will lift 1300lbs without a lot of fuel is suspect and try finding one with an empty weight of 2250. Like it's been said - they temp out quick and with 4000lbs in it you can barely afford to run the heater with the anti-ice protection and scoops on at 5000ft. Its pretty much the Jetranger 3 with a bigger cabin, so you figure it out. Like all Longrangers they are smooth to drive but not exciting.

The L3 are far more superior and useful an aircraft. I have lifted a 1350lb load (as per load cell) with the L3 at 5500ft with a little wind and snow on the ground. Its completely maxed out at that weight however but within tolerances. With an LR you cannot carry the full load of pax at any altitude without sacrificing all the fuel and therefore less than 300lbs doesn't take you far. The L3 will work well even up to 9000ft landing elevation with 500lbs of fuel and 4 pax.

I have flown LR, L1, L1 w/C30. L4 and a 500. I love the Longranger of any type while I find the 500 is nice to Long line with. As for the LR, I have flown 5 different a/c, none of them under 2450lbs gross weight. If you do the math, max gross at 4000lbs, they are limited to the 1250lb external load unless you go below 100lbs of fuel. If you stay within the gross weight limits and are below the 3000' mark, you will find they perform quite well. They can definitely lift more than that if there is any wind. I have found that if it is humid and hot, the temp starts to rise too. Sorry I don't have any time flying them in the higher altitudes. I much prefer the start of the L1 and above in colder temps because of the modulated starts. Last summer I was moving a drill in the Artic with 4 pieces at 1200-1250 lbs. Only time I had to go below 100lbs was lifting the heavy loads through a downdraft because the drill was at the base of a cliff. I have seen them lift 1500lb loads with wind and low alt., but I can't see how it fits in the numbers with the a/c that I have flown.

If you look at the performance charts and Vne charts, things start to really happen after 4000'. There is a serious reduction of torque limits at higher altitudes. Unfortunately, I have no experience in this area with the LR.

Cheers

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Hey Chairman....

"The LR is a bucket of poo - to say it will lift 1300lbs without a lot of fuel is suspect"

What are you trying to say here?Suspect?

Would you mind elaborating a bit for me?

Hey Chairman....

"The LR is a bucket of poo - to say it will lift 1300lbs without a lot of fuel is suspect"

What are you trying to say here?Suspect?

Would you mind elaborating a bit for me?

The L/R with the enhancment kit on has to be the greatest long ranger out there. It must be enhanced . I used one too fly drills & misc at galore and there was no stopping it . I dont remember the mt weight but it would take 2 drums of jet fuel and a drum of diesel off Bobquin strip and fly into camp with return fuel. All within limits .

The L/R with the enhancment kit on has to be the greatest long ranger out there. It must be enhanced . I used one too fly drills & misc at galore and there was no stopping it . I dont remember the mt weight but it would take 2 drums of jet fuel and a drum of diesel off Bobquin strip and fly into camp with return fuel. All within limits .

Forgot to add that the enhancment kit makes them run cooler

Let's compare apples to apples here guys............

The LR is a helluva lot better than the standard Longranger with just a C20B, that's why so many people have converted their old Longdogs.

But do not try to compare it to a L1/C30 or an L3.

It is similar to an L1 with a C28........here's why.

The empty weight of the Longranger is usually alot less than that of an L1, therefore more lifting capability, right ??

Not quite, the gross weight limit on the Longranger is a little less, so you can't take full advantage of the empty weight difference.

Therefore they come out quite similar, and both are disappointing performers at hot/high work.

Some frames are really stripped out and much lighter than others. You must check the frame you are looking at, where you will use it, and what you will use it for.

The LR conversion has great fuel ecomomy, and really cheap cost-per-hour.

So it is like a Jetranger III with two extra seats. That's great for sightseeing work etc.

It is almost similar in lift capability to a 500, but has the advantage of more seats, if you have to move crews as well.

In my opinion this is like asking about the advantages of an AStar 350 BA over a B......yes, there is an advantage but it is NOT comparable to a B2.

The LR is good for many things, but it is not an L3 !!

Again,........carefully look at the job it is being used for before sending it out.

(Yeah right, as if that ever happens in our industry !!)

OT